1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using Standers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bart may, Jun 11, 2002.

1. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Just wanted to know if anyone is using Wright Standers or similiar models? How do they compare to a wb with a sulky? How is the cut?
  2. JimB

JimB LawnSite Member

Wright standers are ok if all of your lawns are perfectly flat, otherwise if you are cutting on any type of hill it's going to wipe out on you, they can't handle hills at all, I live here in New York and there is a dealer here who sells em and he can't give them away much less sell them. Spend the extra money and buy a Z Rider, you can't go wrong with them, their awesome.

3. GrassChopper

GrassChopper LawnSite Member

Jim, you are dead wrong!!!

A Stander will handle hills that no other mower can. I own two and mow hills that my friends won't touch. Since they have a lower center of gravity, and you can lean to change the center of gravity, they will handle hills too steep for most mowers.
  4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

One of my friends has a Great Dane 'Super Surfer' and he wishes he didn't.

Low limbs? Watch out head!

Uneven terrain or grades? Cuts unevenly and leaves tons of stringers.

Stripes? Forget about it...nothing but tire tracks. DEEP tire tracks at a 3.5 inch cut. It's wierd, but the illusion is that the cut is not 'flat'..but rather 'domed'....higher in the center than at the edges of the deck.

Ditches? Scalp city on the trim side of deck.

He has already had to have some welding done on it too...front caster and something to do with the deck mounting.

Oh, and my Exmark dealer carries the Great Dane line too. Last time I went in to get some new blades and filters there were no less than 4 Super Surfers in the repair bays. I asked my dealer "What's up with that?". He just muttered: "I don't wanna talk about it." Yikes!

My friend's Bunton W/B was stolen at the begining of the year and the Great Dane dealer practically 'gave' the Surfer to him for a song and a dance. Now we know why.

I mow a lawn that is right next to one of his with a 60" Lazer (there is no comparison in the quality of the finished cut)...and his client tried to talk me into taking over the lawn (obviously he didn't know that his guy and I are pals). He fired my friend anyway and now there is a guy with a 52" Exmark Lazer HP mowing it for him. :cry: :D :cry:

Me? I would never go with one (stander) now. ZTR or W/B all the way.

This is just my personal experience with that particular machine...better my pal stuck with it than me. ;)
  5. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta say that my Wright Stander does everything I need it to do. I've scalped more with floating deck "Zs" than with my Stander.

Slopes and hill are easily conquered with my Stander. Have some pretty steep ones and they look great after a cut and I'm safer on my Stander than on a seated Z.

Lastly, a Great Dane ain't a Wright Stander... nuff said on that one.

At this point if I were to by another production system it would be a Wright Sentar.

6. GrassChopper

GrassChopper LawnSite Member

If it ain't Wright,
    it ain't right!
  7. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

True, true...

8. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

I love my super surfer. cuts nice yards great but when u get into the stringy grass you have to mow twice even with doubles. It will do hills better than the scamper. just try one.
  9. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I demoed a stander this spring and really liked it. they are built tuff and leave a nice cut. As far as the Super Surfers go- I loved mine for about a month until it went to @#$%. The decks don't stay true, electrical problems, etc. After 12 Years of running w/b and ztr's Ive found myself going back to those machines because they last and give a good cut. There are times when a stander is better suited for a certain job, but 75% of the time you will make better time with a w/b. In this biz you need versatility and that is a w/b and to make time on the open areas it's a ztr.
  10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Take your time getting used to making turns (lot of torque can tear up lawns at first), and on hills (learning how to do them)...

Then stand back and go to town!!!
    Tree branches---as long as the mower handles clear them - so will you. I'm 6'2" and get under lower branches more comfortably on stander than walk behind - wont even try w/ rider. Just squat down on platform and look from side to side - piece of cake. We run Gator magnums - mulch and throw grass real well.

Just keep a spare hydro belt and spring w/ you just in case.

Good luck