anyone using street mapping software?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassguy_, Jan 7, 2006.

1. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

anyone recommend a good street mapping software to do routing from? Besides hand mapping everything with map books , would be nice to have a computer generated street mapping program to plot out customer routes.

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I got streets and maps , works just fine .
    But , I moved to up to Delorme GPS with voice and bought a laptop to layout my route , cost , $2,300 , 2 weeks later I hired a tech. he did my route .
    So , that was 6 months ago and havn't had a use for the $2,300 investment yet , or , until to day , my tech could not pass the pest control test , so , it's all mine again , I'll figure out my $ 2,300 system soon , I hope .
    I bought it to fing the shortest way from one to the otherr

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i have global mapper it is great but i like google earth better .

4. MS MapPoint integrated with MS Access. It rocks.

5. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

For a real cheap alternative you can use MS Streets and Trips.

You have to watch how it renders some addresses but it will warn you that something is wrong with it. Usually, e 47th street would be 47th street east
    and some easier stuff like that.

6. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

Real greeen systems has a great mapping software that goes with their La3 software. Its easy to use and routes all your customers in order for you.

7. rbriggs

rbriggs LawnSite Member

We used MS MapPoint as well, and it has been integreated into our scheduling system/software as an experimental program. So far, it works awesome. When we print our our daily route schedules for the crews, you also have the option of printing out the maps. Admittedly, we still use the old standard map books in the trucks more than anything else.

8. grassguy_

from Ohio

Barefoot,
    I use MS Excel , wasnt sure if MS MapPoint was compatible with Excell, would like to change to Access, but learning issue on the office end yet.

9. grassguy_

from Ohio

arizweedhead
    I've seen the softwre for the Delorme product and wondered how well it works, but you've actually bought the GPS unit as well. Sounds like a great concept, have considered a GPS unit personally but for my guys I'd think it would be more a trinket that would make them even less efficient, lol, However for my own vehicle it would be nice to have a small hand held unit. Really needing some mapping software that i can dowmload customer's addresses and make print the map routes out along with the dailys. Something somo1 is talking about. Somo1, are you using this software now?

10. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

From MS Excel Help site.:

To create maps that can be used with data in Microsoft Excel 2002 or later, you can use a mapping program, such as Microsoft MapPoint. By combining MapPoint with Excel, you can do the following:

Analyze business data, such as sales, customer, and product data geographically by using colorful maps that enable you to identify important locations and trends.
    Link or embed MapPoint maps in an Excel worksheet.
    Export or link data from an Excel worksheet to MapPoint.
    For more information about Microsoft MapPoint, see the Microsoft MapPoint Web site.

For more information about using Microsoft MapPoint with Excel, see the MapPoint Assistance Center and the following articles and help information:

Using MapPoint and Excel to Analyze Sales Data
    About using MapPoint within a Microsoft Office program
    About the MapPoint Office COM add-in
    Export data to Microsoft Excel
    Use MapPoint smart tags in Microsoft Word or Excel
    Choose specific data
    Note Microsoft Map, which is a feature of Excel 2000 that creates, displays and enables you to analyze information by geographical region, is not available with Microsoft Excel 2002 and later. In Microsoft Excel 2002 and later, you can display maps created by using Microsoft Map in an earlier version of Excel, but you cannot modify the maps or create new ones