1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using Super high lift blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Travis Followell, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Will these blades help with discharging wet grass? I was at the dealer today to order a new set of blades and he was telling me how these super high lifts wont clump the grass as bad and chops clippings up finer. Was he right? I appreciate any feedback.
  2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

They work best for extremely wet grass. They shoot it out farther and you get less build up than medium lifts. They don't chop the clippings up more than the other blades. I always use them in the spring during the real heavy growth when rain and sprinklers all seem to be working against me. Then I switch to gator blades because it chops up the grass better for side discharging in dry weather.
  3. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

I use high lifts from lesco's. I have been happy w/ them on my Toro Proline 15/52.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Are you going to use them on a Ferris? If so, what size mower is it and what size engine?

I am guessing you are referring to the 3" wide super high lift blades. If so, here's my experience with them....

I have a 2004 IS1000Z 52" 23hp Kawasaki front independant suspension with a Fast-Vac on it. The blades I need to run have to be good for discharging or bagging. A doubles combo of gator over standard blade works well for normal use discharging, but I didn't want to run doubles and the bagger at the same time as it would be too hard on the clutch to start them spinning, and likely would not have sufficient power for all that especially on hills. I tried the 3" wide super high lift blades. They seem to be the best all around option for me. They cut pretty good in most conditions (had some streaking or stragglers with regular blades), work well in wet or dry conditions, bagging or discharging. Still have enough power to run bagger even on hills (though it does slow down just don't overpower it). Works well when used with bagger. Sucks up everything very well, leaves the lawn looking a little better (sucks up matted down grass a little better).

I can't remember how they did in real wet conditions too well but they must have done ok or I wouldn't have left them on. I don't mind changing blades for conditions but don't want to change blades in the middle of the day to work around a rainstorm or the dew in the morning, so I like one set of blades to do everything. In the fall, I do change my blade setup but thats a whole 'nother topic :)

So, get a set of 3" wide high lifts and give it a shot. Keep the deck clean, or it won't cut right. Sometimes the 3" wide high lifts pack more than regular blades, sometimes they don't. Just check the deck everyday and sharpen the blades as often as you want (in spring I sharpen them daily, summer slower growth and drier, every two days).

Good luck,
  5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

These are the 3" wide super high lift's I'm talking about. They do suck more power, but if its on a ZTR rider you should have enough for it.... I just was not happy at all with regular blades that came with the mower. Wanted to try Exmark Excalibur blades (not alot of difference but just a little, everyone raves about them) but the crazy guy at the dealer got cocky with me saying I didn't need blades with any lift, he uses straight blades no lift at all on his Grasshopper and cuts perfect (then he said he lets it get a foot tall before mowing, i guess its like field area) I thought well duh it cuts clean, it doesn't have to suck up the grass to cut it!!! :dizzy: :rolleyes: So i never tried Excaliburs.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

FSM do you get a line of uncut grass between blades in tall grass from all that airflow? I used that blade and got a trail between blades, [as I do with gators] with my old Bobcat 36 before I baffled the chambers. I think I will give them another try this spring.
  7. Travis Followell

from KY

Eric, thinks for all the info and the pictures. Those 3" blades you have pictured are the ones we will be getting. Were gonna run them on a 60" Woods ztr that doesn't discharge very well. We're gonna get a new IS3000 Ferris about March if the boss man will let us. If the stock blades on the Ferris don't work too good then I guess we will try a set of those super high lifts on it, if we get one. The man at the dealer was telling ushe had a guy buy a super z and was complaining about clumping in wet grass so he put a set of those blades on it and helped tremendosly (can't spell). Thanks again for the info.
  8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Dishboy, I do not have that problem at all, but I had that problem with standard blades but not due to airflow I suppose.

Travis, don't know how the Woods will react to them but you will love the Ferris. As with anything make sure your dealer is great to you... also check your decks (even on a new mower) to check for proper level and pitch. My Ferris, when I bought it, was way messed up on deck adjust, but then I had a real bad dealer (didn't find out till later). I think I've read that the 60" Ferris Z's do better with standard blades but don't quote me on that....

9. Apples

Apples LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Eric, Who makes these blades? Where did you get them?
  10. Travis Followell

from KY

The Ferris dealer also sells Hustler. He has been in business for about a year and we've bought quite a bit of 2 cycle equipment from him. There are 2 people that are partners that own it and they have lived around here all their life and my dad has knowed them for a long time. They have really impressed me with the service department and if they can't get your equipment fixed in 1 day they give you a loaner. In their first year in business which was last year they sold 105 Hustlers. Back a few months ago at the big show in Louisville, I think it's called the National lawn, garden, and power equipment show but anyway Hustler awarded them the Gold award for being the #1 Hustler dealer in Ky their first year.

They just recently started selling Ferris when the JD dealer quit promoting them. They had a Ferris rep there about a week ago and we went up there and talked to him and I drove the machine for a few minutes over the rought lot at the dealer and I was sold on it. It rode so smooth I just couldn't believe it. The IS3000 with a 26 HP Kawasaki vertical shaft LC costs $10,000 and the its $9,500 with the AC 27 HP Kohler. The IS3000 with the Kaw will go 12 mph and has heavier spindles then air cooled 3000. The AC will go 10 mph. We're gonna go with the Kaw for the extra speed and heavier spindles and I expect them to come off that price a little. I'm sure they will because they know us and know that we run a big operation with a lot of equipment.