Anyone using the new Exmark Ultra-cut deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Calvin, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

Anyone using the new Ultra-Cut deck find any improvments over the Tri-Vantage in heavy or wet turf? The deck still is baffled, what improvements have you noticed? I am assuming this deck will be standard issue on all Exmark mowers next year.Thanks.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Actually the new Ultra Cut deck isn't new. It's been out for a couple of years now. Does it cut any better than a regular deck in wet conditions? A friend of mine just bought a new 60" Lazer with the Untra Cut deck and it doesn't do any better in the wet than my Dixie does. I think the general thought is that the Toro SFS is very good in the wet but so-so in the dry.

3. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

Richard Martin,
    Is the Ultra-Cut deck specific to Exmark z's? Did their z's previously use the tri-vantage deck?
    From what I've heard from my dealer Exmark plans on using the Ultra Cut deck on their entire line next year, including WB's. Is this true? Wondering if anyone has used both Tri-vantage & Ultra-cut, and found any improvements in thick turf.
    Need another WB deck that excells in thick turf & gives a good mulching cut.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My HP has the ultra cut. I can't really tell any difference between it and the tri advantage on my metro. The only real difference is the deck on the ultra cut is a little deeper. I guess exmark knows what its talking about, but I really can't tell a difference.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Only Exmarks come with the Ultra Cut deck. The Toro uses the SFS. I don't know if the Lazer came with the Tri-vantage before. Since those are the only 2 decks they have a safe bet would be yes.

It's generally accepted that the Exmark Tri-vantage deck gives the best mulching cut available. Most of this is due to the fact that Exmark is years ahead of everybody else in wide-cut mulching decks due to expierience.

6. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

I do have both. Besides the deck being a little deeper (1/2" I think), and a little more reinforcement around the deck corners, I can not find any difference in the cut. However, for some reason it seems that the older tri-vantage appears to leave a better stripe. Dont understand that one!

Scott

7. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

- 5 1/2" deep deck, (the older decks were 5")

- Beefed up deck-7-guage side skirt. 10-guage top, 10-gauge top reinforcement plate and 7-gauge reinforcement rings where spindle assemblies attach to the deck.

- Trim-side wear guard on the trim side of the deck.

- Anti-Scalp rollers now have nickel plated bushings for improved reliability

The only deck sizes that they have in the Ultra cut are 52", 60", & 72"

Here's a thread on this topic