Anyone using thenew g6 blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmorgan71587, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

396-726....

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I was using double blades since before there was a Lawnsite. For my needs the G6 is better.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

:) Those were the days!

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have tried it, and did not like it much(double blades).

much more fuel use and engine drag. did cut awesome though

5. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you guys mean by double blades, do you actually run two blades per spindle? That would kill my John Deere.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not suggest a two blade per spindle set up. You will use more fuel, wear your clutch out faster, and unless you can find a way to balance them you will wear out your spindles faster as well. Don't forget it will also alter your cutting height.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the above negatives, but balance is easy. If the blades are balanced, then the whole assembly is balanced.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I agree there's more wear and tear, but I don't see how it affects cutting height when used correctly. The height of cut is set by adjusting the lower blade for your HOC, and the upper does the extra mulching.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It will lower your HOC by the thickness of one blade (.203" or .250").

It also lowers the cut plane of the blade with regard to the deck skirt.

Some mowers have blade spacers that you can remove to compensate. DC was one of these. With DC being about the only ZTR with a manual PTO, this was often done with great results.

If you do a search for double blades, there is literally a weeks worth of threads to read. Dating back to this forums infancy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I understand how it works, and that it lowers the height by the thickness of the blades you use, but anyone who is paying attention to what they are doing should see that and adjust their HOC stop accordingly so that the HOC corresponds with the lower blade tips at the front of the deck.

If anyone else is interested, if you go to Walkers youtube site, they have a video showing the use of doubles on their mowers. They are another company that uses the manual pto still. At 1:50 of this video, the operator tips up the deck giving you a clear view of the double blade setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZrsdWcKsQU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL