1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using thenew g6 blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmorgan71587, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Oregon OEP

Oregon OEP Sponsor

Engineering tells me that the G6™ blades are at the limit as far of air lift height. Sorry can't get any better:cry:
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I'm confused trying to find the G6 blade part number for the Scag 61" deck. Do they make one for that deck width?
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

396-727 Greg It is a 21" blade with a 5/8" center hole.
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Cool, thanks Richard.
  5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I don't quite understand why Dennis.

I understand that they may not be able to make/achieve anymore lift for the entire blade, but since they were able to twist up the shredding teeth higher than the outer finger, it seems that just bending that one tab up to equal what they did on the shredder teeth would be an easy task, even if it meant twisting it to match the shredder teeth as close as possible to accomplish it.:confused:
  6. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Torch. Bench vise. Adjustable wrench.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Oregon OEP

Oregon OEP Sponsor

Yes it is part number 396-727. Same as Ferris Commercial Pro.
  8. Oregon OEP

Oregon OEP Sponsor

The process is a little more involved than that. There are limits on what you can do with the tooling when working with 1/4" steel. If we made the lift higher we would have to "notch" further into the blade which would make it weaker. At that point it might not pass the stake test( where we run the blade at full RPM and pop a 1" steel rod into its path;blade can't break, crack or loose any mass). To get where we are we had to go with 3" wide steel instead of 2-1/2". The "teeth" can be higher because of the way they are notched on a diagonal. If you have not seen it we have a brief video showing the blade building process at this address http://www.oregonchain.com/pro/service/video_kc_blount.htm
  9. Oregon OEP

Oregon OEP Sponsor

Sorry didn't see that Richard had already answered.
  10. alanauer

alanauer LawnSite Member

Dennis, thanks for the link to the interesting video. I wondered how blades were made. Minor comments: 1. Not clear what "Blount" is and its connection with Oregon. You make your own saw-chains but contract out your mower blades?

2. The script-writer who refers to "cutting-edge technology" should get an award for unknowing double-entendres.