1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using thenew g6 blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmorgan71587, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Oregon OEP

Oregon OEP Sponsor

Blount International is the corporation that owns all the Oregon® facilities around the world. The company here in Kansas City which you saw in the video was known for years as Frederick manufacturing. When Blount purchased our company we became part of the Oregon® parts group. The North American Distribution Center for all Oregon® products is here in Kansas City also.
  2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Thanks Dennis. I don't mean to beat this point to death, but maybe I'm not making what I mean clear. I don't mean that I would like to see more lift across the entire sail/teeth, just the last outer tooth itself, so that it matches the other shredder teeth at the highest point of each tooth. I believe that by making/bending/twisting the wider, outer tooth equal all the others in height at the top of the tooth that it would add noticably to the discharge perfromance since that one tooth is noticably wider than all the others, and would move more air. I don't see that deepening the notch (making the blade weaker) would be necessary since you were already able to make the shredder teeth taller than the outer tooth with the notches cut as they are currently. Like I said before, maybe all they need to do is to twist it as the did the other teeth to achieve the same overall height at the tip of the tooth. Since they are able to bend the 1/4" blade as much as they are already, it doesn't seem that bending that one last tooth a bit more would be any great problem to do.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

That outer tooth can't/shouldn't be twisted. You wouldn't get the lift then.

You'd be right back where the OLD regular Gators were. Great at shredding, but horrible for suction/lift.

I think if anything, that outer lift section could be BIGGER (longer). Knock one of the twisted teeth away and make that outer lift wing longer.
  4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I disagree totally. I know for sure you'll still get lift. I have had several mower blades in the past for both 21" WB's, and older L&G tractors that are almost indentical to what I am talking about here, and that was all that provided the lift for/on them, and they worked fine. They were designed that way due to their width and what was needed to achieve the proper amount of lift. I might still have one of them out in my shop. Having the twist won't negate anything regarding lift, especially if it is curved up even higher than what they are now. Even the twisted, narrower teeth are contributing to the lft. I only suggested having the outer tab twisted and curved up more like the shredder teeth to be able to get the tab as high as the shredders if that is what it took.

I am not knocking these blades at all, and I don't want anyone to take it that way either. The more I use them, the more I like them. The outer tab deal is just something that I believe will benefit them even more regarding the clumping I mentioned in my review.
  5. Oregon OEP

Oregon OEP Sponsor

TLS/Ridin Green I will take your comments to engineering again and see if I can get them to give us a little better explanation of the reasons they say they cannot do this. Sometimes their explanations get a little "technical" for this old country boy.:dizzy:
  6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

If that's true, then I'm really in trouble!:eek:
  7. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Im really intrigued by the arguments in the last few posts. Has there been any INDEPENDENT, bonafide, scientific, repetitive tests done to see which blade moves more air? Which one creates more finely shredded clippings?
  8. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

After watching the video and seeing the eqp they are using to make these blades, I feel sure that with that type of investment, someone has made sure that the research was done before starting. Just my guess tho.
  9. fobaum

fobaum LawnSite Senior Member

I agree w/ the other two posters about the air sail needing to be a little higher for more lift. I believe there is a pic in this thread w/ regular high lifts and G6's if the sail was the same height as standard high lifts it "appears" they would have better lift. but i'm not a engineer? Maybe the reason its(last tab on blade) not the same height as the teeth is the clipping would get discharged to quickly w/ the higher last tab??????
  10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Riding Green, are you talking about the sail being the same angle/pitch as the teeth in the pic on response 41? If so, I can already see why it can't be the same. It would create soo much drag that it wouldn't discharge properly.