Anyone using thenew g6 blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmorgan71587, Jun 28, 2011.

1. fobaum

fobaum LawnSite Senior Member

And not mulched enough before being discharged.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I think the guys at Oregon need to make a "see through" deck and show first hand what these G6 blades are doing and how the grass is moved through the deck! Come on Dennis, make it happen. :)

3. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to see a video also that really shows what these blades do differently than other types.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Yea, that's basically what I am wondering about. I believe the pics in this thread are mostly those I posted, and I can say firsthand that if those are the ones you are asking about, my OEM high lifts have more lift to them than the G6's (both taller and a solid sail) and they discharge great- better than the G6's and they don't leave any clumps at all. They don't drag down my engine at all either.

I just don't think another 1/4" or less of increased angle will be noticable by anyone on just that one outer tab, as far as engine power goes, but it may add just enough extra air velocity to eliminate any clumping that I sam getting now (which as I said before is not too much, but is still there).

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I have seen high speed videos of mower baldes in action before, though they were from an independent lab and not Oregon, which only makes sense. Why would they want to do R&D work, then post it on the net for all their competition to see and try to improve on?

The stuff I saw was taken from underneath the deck looking up at the blades, from above looking down through what I presume was some sort of high impact plastic to allow video to be taken while the blades went through the grass, and also from a distance from the side discharge chute using a telephoto lens of some type. I only saw it because someone else had found it and sent a link for it to me, since they knew I mow.

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Well, it's been really wet here in MI the last few days, so I finally took a chance and went out and mowed some properties today. Didn't get rained on, but the grass was still pretty damp. I am really starting to love these G6 blades!

They did an awesome job in the damp grass-better it seemed than when it's dry even. Had to mulch up some giant leaves off a rather large poplar tree of some type that sheds year round, but is really starting to drop 'em now. A couple quick passes and they were pretty much gone. These leaves were large, and still fairly green and flexible, so I am betting they do even better on dry crispy leaves.

This has nothing to do with the blades I guess (but then maybe it does to some extent), but it's truly amazing how well the 7 Iron's stay clean underneath even in damp conditions like we've had here of late, and the grass has been getting long because we haven't been able to get out and snip it.

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Been a lot of chit chat from scientific and engineering perspectives. All I know is the old gators had just a slight curve leading to the teeth. The G6's, which I started using this year have an initial lift bend (like a regular high lift blade) then another lift bend that the teeth are an integral part of. This all makes a lot of sense in creating normal lift as well as shredding capabilities. All I know is the 7 Iron decks with G6's stay clean, distribute the grass like no other deck, and absolutely pool table cut at full speed. Go G6, and Go 7 Iron. They have made my life soooooo goooood.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Wow Brad, we finally agree on something. :)

9. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I just tried my first set of G6's today (on an '09 Lightning) and was very happy with the performance. They have a good discharge, and chop the clippings up to noticeably smaller pieces that are more likely to fall down into the freshly mowed grass.

I noticed that someone mentioned that you should sharpen and balance new blades, so just to be sure, I checked the new blades for balance, and they were good. The edge on the new blades are ready to go when you get them. I've never sharpened new blades but I guess if you want a "razor edge" you can.

I've always felt that a "razor edge" only lasts a short period of time anyway and then you're back to where you started. But, as I say, that's just personal preference.

10. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Just put a set on my 930a mod 60" and they work great. They chop the grass up alot more. Did a thick lush lawn on a very wet morning, I discharged it and went back over it with deck up 1" and mulched it and it looked like I bagged it. Very happy with them might be running them all the time. Can't wait to try them on some leaves.