Anyone using thenew g6 blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmorgan71587, Jun 28, 2011.

1. alanauer

alanauer LawnSite Member

"... someone mentioned that you should sharpen and balance new blades...."

The blades on my new Grasshopper had a cutting edge 1/16" thick. I agree you don't want a knife-edge, but that looked way too dull so I checked. Turns out it was a protective covering for the edge. Went away after first use.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The edge that comes on the G6 is highly usable (once the protective coating wears away), but after a week of mowing with them, even though the edge still looked like new, I decided to sharpen them anyway to see if it made a difference in their performance. Believe me, it does! I didn't try to make them like a razor, but I did improve the edge significantly, and after that they really showed what they can do, especially in wet grass. The clippings are even finer now, and there's almost zero stragglers to be found anywhere. I can cut at even faster speeds on top of everything. The Fusion edge along the first couple inches of the blade really helps them hold their edge a lot longer, even on sandy soil type lawns.

We are starting to have leaves down on a few places every week now, and two passes pretty much makes them disappear. I'll report back once they really get to coming down.

3. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Ridin' Green I'm like you, interested in how they perform on dry leaves. I'm thinkin' they'll do a good job (judging from what I've seen so far).
    Stan

4. stonebridge

stonebridge LawnSite Senior Member

does anyone know where to get them in Indianapolis? i would order them but i would like to try them out this week

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  6. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member

Go to the Oregon website and click on "where to buy". There are ten listings less than 20 miles from you.

http://www.oregonchain.com/pro/products/oep/G6.htm

7. stonebridge

does anyone know where to get them in Indianapolis? i would order them but i would like to try them out this week

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

:confused::confused: Did you not read the replies we made above? Those are dealers in your area, and at least one of them should have what you need in stock.

9. stonebridge

sorry computer froze and i hit submit reply again on accident

10. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I sorta figured, but wasn't sure. Mine's been doing the same thing a lot lately. Prolly gettin' ready to go.