Anyone using thenew g6 blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmorgan71587, Jun 28, 2011.

1. I could see how it might slow down a lesser powered mower. The older Gator blades were as easy to spin as the OEM blades but, the hi-lift G6 Gator Blades are noticeably harder to spin. If my mower had a smaller engine I would probably put the older Gator blades on if I were going to cut some thick grass. Since I've got 33hp it's not that big a deal. I can say that the cut quality is just as good with the G6 as any blade I've ever tried.
  2. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

I sharpened, balanced and squared the tips of a new set of G6s and installed them this evening on my Grasshopper 722D, Kubota diesel, 52" with full mulching kit.

Mowing mostly St. Augustine tomorrow, currently with high growth rates, will let you all know how it goes.

The 722D is a mulching monster with regular medium lifts, any further improvement would be gravy.

Improvements hoped for would include; reduced un-cut weed stalks and a better finish cut on the first pass when mowing at high ground speeds.
    Also, reduced clumping in very weedy/wet turf.
  3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Thanks for the reply. Did/do you notice any improvement in mulching from them?
  4. Shoreline

Shoreline LawnSite Member

All the improvements you mention here can be done by removing the baffle under the front of your deck. That is if it's bolted on. I have a 52" Bobcat and since I removed the baffle I rarely have any uncut stalks. Helps with everything else you mentioned also.
  5. TheOctagon

TheOctagon LawnSite Senior Member

They make em. I have a set on the shelf right now. Cant remember the number off the top of my head though. 16.5" 5/8hole

found em 396-735
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  6. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Shoreline,
    Thanks for the reply! The baffle is fixed on my Grasshopper deck, but it might be fun to modify an older deck and see what happens.
    There's always a better way to do things! Congrats on the Bobcat, they appear to be quality machines.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have not noticed that the G6 blades drag down my Dixie. If fact, if anything, since they seem to be working so much better than anything else I've tried, there is less strain on the mower.
  8. Kingfish

Kingfish LawnSite Member

There doing good so far in the northeast.nice cut and discharge.more once it rains.
  9. MJfromMD

MJfromMD LawnSite Member

I want to try G6 blades on my Hustler Z with the 60" XR7 deck.

The Oregon G6 part no. 396-740 is 20.5" long, with the 5/8" mtg. hole, which is the same as my other OEM blades.

It is the closest "dimensionally" (in G6 blades) to my other "Gator" blades.

However it is also 3" wide, whereas the others are only 2.03" - 2.50" wide.

Anyone tried running 3.0" wide blades on this deck? Please advise!
  10. Kingfish

Kingfish LawnSite Member

so far i like theses(g6) blades on my ferris with the icd deck.more later.