1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using thenew g6 blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmorgan71587, Jun 28, 2011.

1. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I know this won't be suggested or recommended by the manufacturer, but why not take the dimensions of your current blade and buy a G6 blade that matches it as closely as possible, and then modify it to fit?

Doug

2. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

If you're good and know what you're doing like myself and you. I don't see why you couldn't.

3. douglee25

from PA

Yeah I agree. I guess I'm in the mindset that I'll always find a way to engineer or make something work. If someone else doesn't make what I need, I'll make it myself!

Doug

4. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I've used the G6 blades for the last two weeks and find them to work as well as the OEM Scag standard and high lift blades. The only difference is that they cut clippings smaller and more of the clippings can fall through the grass for a cleaner look. The discharge is very close to what the standard lift blades I have discharge at and a tiny bit less then the high lifts. All around a great blade to meet in the middle so to speak. :) They pick up the blades of grass and leave virtually no stragglers after the cut yet still blow them far enough to evenly discharge them.

5. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

Dennis, could you verify which is the correct blade for the 60" Gravely 400 again between the 396-807 and the 396-740? Is one maybe a G6 and the other a G5 or something?

6. douglee25

from PA

Unless the blades have a different curvature, the specs say they are identical?

I just doubled checked. Weird.

Doug

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I'd bet on that right there. There are two blades listed for 60" Deere decks that have indentical specs, but one is for the 7 Iron Z tracks, and the other is for the 7 Iron and standard decks for CUT's, as well as the identical decks for the heavy duty 400 series garden tractors. The Ztrac blades have a curve in the center, the others are flat all the way across.

8. Oregon OEP

Oregon OEP Sponsor

That is the difference. The offset is 5/16" different between the 2 blades. The 396-807 has the 5/16" offset like the newer 09081200 while the 396-740 blade has a zero offset. The 09081200 is the blade listed on the Gravely parts radar as the correct blade for the Pro Turn in question.

9. LawnCareNoobie

LawnCareNoobie LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Ridin' Green do you use the washer that is taped to each blade on your mower? I didn't bother with it cause they seem to be exactly the same.

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

On my Z720 I did because I was going from a 5/16" thick blade that comes std on them, to the 1/4" G6's or OEM highlifts. On my Z950 I didn't because it came stock with OEM highlifts. The profile of the G6 and OEM highlift are exactly the same, as is the thickness of the blades.:)

Take a look at post # 378 :)dizzy:). There's a pic of the right one on my mower.