Lawn Care Forum banner

Anyone using thenew g6 blades

243K views 654 replies 135 participants last post by  Mudly 
#1 ·
Picked up 2 sets of the new gator g6 blades for my ferris. They look to be clear coated even the edge feels dull because of the coating(anyone sharpen theedge befor instalation to get anice sharp edge).

#2 ·
Yes. You must sharpen and balance new blades.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
What are they doing to please you so?
My main concern where I live now is in cutting Bahia grass. If you've never seen Bahia it is different from any other grass. It grows like it has spring growth for months during the heat of the summer, with or without rain. It is thick. It is extremely tough. It also produces a seed that a foot tall in 7 days. The volume of clippings is the worst part. It was the volume of clippings that was driving me crazy. It was nearly impossible to make them completely disappear regardless of the number of times you went over them. The clippings dry out very, very fast once you cut the grass. It makes the clippings difficult to fall down to the turf especially the longer seed stems.

The G6 blade just pulverizes Bahia. I still have to go over the bad spots a couple of times but I'm spending way less time on it now. I see all varieties of mowers here and it seems like everybody has just given up on trying to get rid of the clippings. You go by lawns that are Bahia and they're just hayfields. I don't have that problem any longer. Bahia is so bad, Exmark designed a blade just to cut it. It doesn't appear to make any difference on the Exmarks because they're leaving hayfields behind too.

The G6 blade also handles crabgrass pretty well too, even damp crabgrass. We have a lot of Burmuda too and it does well on that also.

#13 ·
I just put a set on last week. I think they are g6 style. The suction is pretty unbelieveable. There is a sudden dust storm now. The grass catcher is packing really good again. The cut is very good in tall grass and excellent on my weeky cuts. I just put them on as they came. I am very happy with them.

#14 ·
What site did you buy the g6 gators from. Do you know if they make one for the single bladed toro 32?

#16 ·
When say 15-21/32" what does that mean. how would it read for a single 32 in blade
Posted via Mobile Device

#17 ·
The hi-lift G6 blades for my Bob-Cat really are hi-lift. I tried one set of the previous hi-lift Gators and there is no comparison. The older blades aren't as wide and the larger and wider blades are a lot more beefy and offer a lot more lift. They are also harder to spin than the non-G6 blades.

#21 ·
That's what I was wondering about. How much difference was there between your old blades (or the oem blades) and the G6's? Was/is it enough to slow you down in certain situations?
Thanks.
I could see how it might slow down a lesser powered mower. The older Gator blades were as easy to spin as the OEM blades but, the hi-lift G6 Gator Blades are noticeably harder to spin. If my mower had a smaller engine I would probably put the older Gator blades on if I were going to cut some thick grass. Since I've got 33hp it's not that big a deal. I can say that the cut quality is just as good with the G6 as any blade I've ever tried.

#22 ·
I sharpened, balanced and squared the tips of a new set of G6s and installed them this evening on my Grasshopper 722D, Kubota diesel, 52" with full mulching kit.

Mowing mostly St. Augustine tomorrow, currently with high growth rates, will let you all know how it goes.

The 722D is a mulching monster with regular medium lifts, any further improvement would be gravy.

Improvements hoped for would include; reduced un-cut weed stalks and a better finish cut on the first pass when mowing at high ground speeds.
Also, reduced clumping in very weedy/wet turf.

#23 ·
I could see how it might slow down a lesser powered mower. The older Gator blades were as easy to spin as the OEM blades but, the hi-lift G6 Gator Blades are noticeably harder to spin. If my mower had a smaller engine I would probably put the older Gator blades on if I were going to cut some thick grass. Since I've got 33hp it's not that big a deal. I can say that the cut quality is just as good with the G6 as any blade I've ever tried.
Thanks for the reply. Did/do you notice any improvement in mulching from them?

#24 ·
I sharpened, balanced and squared the tips of a new set of G6s and installed them this evening on my Grasshopper 722D, Kubota diesel, 52" with full mulching kit.

Mowing mostly St. Augustine tomorrow, currently with high growth rates, will let you all know how it goes.

The 722D is a mulching monster with regular medium lifts, any further improvement would be gravy.

Improvements hoped for would include; reduced un-cut weed stalks and a better finish cut on the first pass when mowing at high ground speeds.
Also, reduced clumping in very weedy/wet turf.
All the improvements you mention here can be done by removing the baffle under the front of your deck. That is if it's bolted on. I have a 52" Bobcat and since I removed the baffle I rarely have any uncut stalks. Helps with everything else you mentioned also.

#26 ·
All the improvements you mention here can be done by removing the baffle under the front of your deck. That is if it's bolted on. I have a 52" Bobcat and since I removed the baffle I rarely have any uncut stalks. Helps with everything else you mentioned also.
Hi Shoreline,
Thanks for the reply! The baffle is fixed on my Grasshopper deck, but it might be fun to modify an older deck and see what happens.
There's always a better way to do things! Congrats on the Bobcat, they appear to be quality machines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.