Anyone using this aerator?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by eco.lawns, Feb 26, 2011.

1. eco.lawns

eco.lawns LawnSite Member

2. eco.lawns

Any and all input is always appreciated

3. eco.lawns

ok lets change it up a bit... what aerator(brand/model) will you be using in 2011?

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I am hoping to buy a Turfco XT5 later in the season. Tired of renting every year.

Is that the JRCO hooker aerator? Am interested in seeing what other guys think too.

5. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe the jrco unit just pokes holes and dosen't really pull plugs.I will be starting out with a Lawn solutions 21"aerator but it too pretty much just pokes holes and leaves no plugs either.I'm interested in the turfco xt5 but have a feeling it's going to give the same results as the unit I have now.I wish there was a rolling tine machine that pulls plugs like a plugr unit.That unit would be on my trailer.As far as ztr mounted aerators also check out z- rator they have spoon type tines and should throw plugs.

6. JRCO

JRCO Sponsor

Just a quick point of clarification. Yes, the Hooker aerator does pull plugs. The difference is they are soft (or loose) plugs rather than hard compacted plugs. As you see on our website, as you move forward the tine hooks and pulls up the loose plug which breaks apart right away on the surface. Hence the name "hooker".

Feel free to give us a call, eco.lawns, if you have any questions. Thanks for everyone's input. It's always good to hear feedback.

Bill
    JRCO, Inc
    800-966-8442

7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

That is aeration but, I would really question the Quality. Spacing of the holes, amount of soil removed, depth of aeration and movement of soil under the surface is minimal. Aeration in it's most minimal form. In the world of real aerators this unit would not pass muster.

8. eco.lawns

JRCO, does it tear up the grass to badly? seems that it might

9. JRCO

JRCO Sponsor

Hi Eco,

No, it really doesn't tear up the lawn badly at all.

Here's a video clip for a closer look. Our website, jrcoinc.com also has a photo gallery with pictures of the aeration pattern as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJnirJmTxvo

Thanks,
    Bill

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  10. eco.lawns

JRCO, Looks pretty good in the video. Im guessing the "hooker" style aerators don't need to be waited down like the "plug" style aerators do because I didn't see any weights in the video.