Anyone using Toro ZTR's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ballentinelawnmtc, May 12, 2001.

1. ballentinelawnmtc

ballentinelawnmtc LawnSite Member

Is anyone using the Toro Z Master w/ 23hp 60" cut? If so what are the pro's & con's. How do they compare with the EXMARK?

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have the toro 62inch deck with the 25 kohlor. Built very good (after all, it is a exmark). This mower is un beatable at cutting wet grass... this mowers weak point is mulching clippings. this mower has a very smooth cut and stripes great but you have to do alot of double cutting that Idont beleave you would have to do with an exmark.

3. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

I too have the 62 inch 25 hp Kohler on my Z-master. I love this machine. I tested alot of riders except the Lazer. If figured they were pretty much the same machine but the Toro had a better deck (air flow system). Hey Evan, what kind of problem are you having with mulching clippings? I started using double blades this year and will never go back to singles. I also have a Dixie Chopper that I bought before I knew anything (I thought Dixies looked cool). And now after having this Toro, I wonder why guys buy Dixies. Z-masters are great machines and probably the most comfortable.

4. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Uh-oh, I see trouble brewing after that Chopper comment........Better hope Eric is preoccupied with something. I see a four star asschap coming on!!!!!!:D

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Aww man, you've done it now! LOL. Eric's gonna be after you, bashing on his Chopper! I've heard many different things about Toro and Exmark. The machine itself, excluding the deck, I believe, are identical to eachother. I was at my Exmark dealer today (he sells Toro and Husky as well as Exmark) and he tried to tell me that Toro and Exmark mowers were exactly the same except for the colors, logo's, etc. The SFS deck is quite a bit different from Exmark's deck (isn't it?) and I've also heard that Exmark does better in some grasses compared to the Toro and vice versa. I'm a bit confused as well. LOL. Later guys.

6. Evan528

Eross17, my "mulching problem" is that if i cut 6 inches off the top of the grass blade the dishcharged clippings are 6 inches or close to it. I tried double blades in the begining of the spring but removed them emediatly. For some reason I was getting a uneven cut with them. the clipping were discharged a little further but I did not notice any better mulching effect. Because of the added weight of two blades the pto had to be engaged at almost full throttle or the machine would stall. Dont get me wrong, I like this machine alot but I am starting to wonder if maybe I made the wrong choice by getting the toro over the exmark. The exmark dosnt cut as nice is wet grass but sure mulching clipping alot better reducing alot of double cutting.

7. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear your not too happy with the Toro. Your right about engaging the PTO, but I figured any machine using the PTO would have that problem. I've been really happy with my machine and the results using doubles. Like I said, I've never used an Exmark so I can't compare, I have some friends that have the Lazers and are real happy with them.

8. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

"6 inches??!!??!?"

Evan528, there isn't a mower in the world that will properly mulch a 6" wet cut! You are expecting too much from your mower if you think you should be able to mulch under those conditions.

My mower decision was based on having no choice if I cut wet grass--most of the time I just have to do it [north of Seattle]. If your dealer told you that you could cut 6" of wet grass and still have it mulch properly you were misled. Otherwise, why would you expect the SFS deck to do this? Your SFS deck sounds like it's working exactly as I was told it would, although no one mentioned being able to cut 6" of wet grass cleanly, so I'd say it's working better than I would expect. The advantage of the SFS deck as I understand it is that it does cut the grass blade just once and then spit it out without passing it through the other two blades and cutting it again and again. This reduces the buildup of wet, pulpy grass under the deck and allows you to cut taller wet grass cleanly. That's also probably why your deck doesn't work well with double blades because it defeats the purpose of cutting the grass blade only once.

I'm no expert at this, but even I know that the rule of thumb is to cut no more than 1/3 of the grass at a time. I'm assuming that you're not cutting 18" tall grass, so that means that you need to cut more often to get a quality cut. Every dealer I talked to regardless of brand stated flat out that their mower would not mulch wet grass well unless it was cutting only one inch or less of grass off the top.

My Exmark/Toro dealer told me if I just wanted to cut wet grass then the Toro SFS deck was the way to got and that's what he suggested for me, BUT he also said that the Exmark deck would be more versatile as far as its ability to mulch, bag or side discharge. That's what I went with and I haven't bothered to buy the mulch kit as it's effective only with frequent, short cuts when mostly dry. This mower with the UltraVac kit is awesome. It picks up every bit of grass, wet or dry and packs those bags full. I'm not a fan of bagging and wouldn't ordinarily do it but with grass growing a minimum of 6" per week all spring, I have to bag just to keep up. The minute it's dry enough, although it's never really dry, off comes the bagger. I am quite happy with my 60" 27HP LC Kaw Lazer and I think you need to rethink your expectations for your mower so you can be happy too. Try cutting off much less at a time and let us know how it looks. Good luck, Will M.

9. Evan528

IN the spring lawns around here grow a good 4-6 inches a week! Even if im only cutting 3 inches off....the clippings are still 3 inches while the exmark makes the clipping virtually disapear. Ideally, you are supposed to cut only 1/3 of the blade off... in the spring you would have to cut every 3-4 days to acheive this though! I dont think so!

10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two Toro ZTR's with 62" decks. We run Atomic blades on them and they cut great. The finish rivals the cut we get with our Walkers. They are very comfortable machines to operate and you don't eat the clippings like you do on the Walkers. I feel they are a superior machine..even to the Exmark (which Toro owns). The SFS decks do a remakable job of dispersing clippings. We cut everything from bermuda turf to roadsides with ours and have no complaints whatsoever.