Anyone waiting for last falls overseed to germinate

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Turf Manager, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Turf Manager

Turf Manager LawnSite Member

Because of the lack of rain in my area last year. Overseeding took place later than I would have liked,first week of october. However very little snow this winter and not much rain this spring so far. I'm praying the seed will germinate when we get rain and temps soon. What do you think? I use a lesco renovator for my overseeding work.

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Better do it again

3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

If youre still waiting your SOL. Better start over or wait till fall and tell your customers to water this time.

4. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

i have done some slice seeding this spring, and the ground has been wet, with some sunshine, it has been about a week and half haven't seen any germanation, i know that the ground is still cold, but i was hoping to see something by now, i hope i dont have to go back, but i have to make the customer happy!

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i said before, dormant seeding is silly. don't wait till that seed comes up, it will be a long, long wait.

6. Turf Manager

Turf Manager LawnSite Member

Dormant seeding is when the ground is cold and hard. When I seeded we still had warm weather just no water, but who can predict rain. I still want to see what happens once we get some good soil temps with moisture. My Lesco rep said just wait soil temps are still cool here. Time will tell.

7. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Why? Shouldnt the seed sit there until the conditions are right? I have a similiar situation where we put down seed in the fall (large lawn that is not possible to water) and no rain therfore no germination. I told the dude to wait until the soil temps warm up and we should see grass. You dont think so? Why not?