anyone walk for no reason?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, May 29, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i guess this particular thread is aimed at those who run walkbehinds with sulkies. but do you walk when cutting when you can ride? i find myself walking alot just for the exercise. anyone else do this or am i just crazy? thanks.

randy.

2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, I always use the sulky at my job. We have to get the property looking nice but in a short time so I always ride. But if you have time, than I guess walking is alright.

3. lawnguy001

lawnguy001 LawnSite Member

Yes, Randy, You are crazy.............

4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i love brutal honesty. :laugh:

5. Skiross

Skiross LawnSite Member

I walk all the lawns I mow. Sometimes in top gear, sometimes slower. Keeps me young. Why pay for a gym membership when you can have a mower pull you around for 6 hours. Thought about a sulkie but...nah.

6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

yea, you have lost your marbles.......too much gas & grass....

7. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I ride, one of my employees walks every job and a second employee of mine ride half and walks the others (depending on the job or his mood).

8. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Same here. I had considered a sulkie too, but they leave a wheel mark in every stripe, and my high-end residential clients would not like that. They also make a mess of a yard if the ground is soft/wet.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I used to walk the Toro for that reason, but also to build myself up, because I never know the day that Velke craps out and I have to walk it...
    What's the choice, run home to get the spare or finish the dang lawn walking it?
    Sorry, if the mower still runs and cuts good, I walk.

But the most I can do walking is 5 maybe 6 lawns, I'm not much past 4th gear either man that thing will walk you dizzy and unconscious lol
    Not sure what it is, but I used to get off on working myself dizzy, then keeping myself there :p

I remember mulch was another of those jobs I could do for hours in a dizzy stage.
    Has to be cool outside thou, and drink lots of water.
    String trimming to a point, leaves, too.

It was crazy, like a free legal high thou...
    Not much for it anymore, too many unwanted side effects for me.

10. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I usually walk, unless it's a real big area. During dry spells I always walk because the ground is too rough riding. I find myself using the 21" in fences a lot just for the exercise. At 35 the pounds go on easier than they come off so I try to keep them off. Topsites I know what you mean about about working dizzy. I used to do a place where I would trim for 5 hrs. straight while 5 guys mowed, I loved it. I thought I would do it again this year to teach the young guys how it's done. I did it, but the following week I grabbed a mower and we split the trimming.