Anyone want to be the Walmart of their area?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by qwikv6, Jun 3, 2005.

1. qwikv6

qwikv6 LawnSite Member

Has anyone wanted to be the Walmart of their area? I mean when people think of lawn care they immediately think of your company. It's called top of mind awareness. It would be different for each market.

How did you guys that have their market wrapped up go about doing it?

Did you buy out smaller companies?
    Did you put out a HUGE advertising campaign?

In a market where there is no REAL leader ,how do you get to that point?

I want it so that when people need lawn maintenence, they think of me first and call me first.

Any valuable input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I guess youd have to shut down every company first. Many times someone will ask the company doing theres next door. Or a freind has so and so. There has to be pleanty of work for everyone?

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I would love to be the "Walmart" of mowing... but it's hard for a small operation with limited funds to do that w/o putting themselves out of business. Many guys try...but almost none suceed, You need an enormous amout of funding to operate on very low profit margins...because you HAVE to work cheap to take over an entire market.

4. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

why cut 75 .25 acre lawns for $20, when you could charge at least $25.... so you only have 55 lawns @ $25? with the 75 lawns you make $1,500 but with 55 lawns you make $1,375....

So you were able to take on competition legally & legit and have the edge over the other guys w/75 lawns @ $20 due to low overhead, make $125 extra .... but you busted your balls and almost had a heat stroke to keep up w/75 lawns that week mowing with a 21'' push mower, while you could have invested a few more $ into your equipment and have bought a 36'' mower and have shorten your work load....

for an example lets say you went out and bought a torro proslide for $1k to cut the 75 lawns, but you could have bought a 36'' exmark viking for $4k or a decent metro for $3,200 to cut 55 lawns... sure you now have a higher overhead, but you can cut those 55 lawns and be done in about 25hrs instead of spending all week tryin to keep up w/the 21'' mower....

time is money, and your selling yourself short tryin to be "walmart", the only way you could do is have low overhead like the 21'' mower and spend all week cuttin.... does $125 really justify havin to cut 20 more lawns? lets do the math, $125/20 lawns= $6.25 extra for havin to hassle each additional lawn....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    the best way of goin about doin business is to have top quality equipment thats efficient and charge higher prices to make up from the low customer base and not workin yourself so hard...

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The walmart of lawncare cannot provide the quality of service that I'm interested in selling.
    Nor does the walmart of lawncare have the kind of customers I'm interested in.

Just my thoughts.

6. A+ Lawncare

i think the customers that would target "walmart lco", should go find a scrub down the street operating out of the caravan...

7. qwikv6

qwikv6 LawnSite Member

Maybe the Walmart of lawn care was the wrong way to put it. I apologize if it was taken that way.

What I mean is how can you just go out and dominate a market?

Do you take the position that you have to build it up from scratch?
    Do you buy out a bunch of other LCO's?
    Would you send letters to other LCO and ask if they want to sell their biz?

In my area there is no leader in lawn maintenence. I want to be that leader.

Since I started, I have built my reputation on quality work and being dependable and courteous. I will NOT allow that to suffer to become the market leader. I just thought that there were some guys on here that have 60% of their market wrapped up and could give some advise.

Please guys, if you have input let's hear it!

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It's tough to get 60% of this market just about anywhere.............too many lco's out there, too many types of customers etc.

The only real way to dominate a market is through buyouts and or low pricing, which will only be temporary, until others begin to compete with you once again.............

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi qwikv6,

I think it is very difficult to dominate in this market. Other's may disagree. One of the avenues you could consider pursuing is creating a niche in your industry and be the best at that. Create a specialty that is tough to get into and takes much knowledge. Do it well and people from all over will seek you out.

10. A+ Lawncare

I agree w/Gopher... take a look at justmowit..... their operating more than a good share of p/u flat beds w/21'' trim mowers on them beatin the heck outta small competition lawns...

find something u can do that no other LCO will touch... like for ex. some LCO won't bag clippings you could easily get into this side of the business and cater to all bagging lawns and make a killing if you master the rite techniques