Anyone want to critique my website?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by skorum03, Jan 30, 2013.

1. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm reasonably new to the lawn care community and even newer to lawnsite. I worked for the last few years in landscape construction and last summer started doing some mowing on the side. I built a website by myself last spring and have tried to fine tune it as best I can with the web host that I have which is relatively inexpensive. If anyone has any opinions on anything I can change or do better feel free to let me know. It won't hurt my feelings haha

Thanks Fellas.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good ! Simple and to the point.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good. But does it rank well on searches?

This is a job for Tony!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Did you forget the APPS:waving:

5. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

Looks good. Simple and clean

6. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

- I would take a look at Google and seomoz's SEO Beginners Guides and then apply what you learn to your site (Title, H, Meta Descrip tags).

- The photo in your banner is pretty fuzzy which, when combined with the blues/grays of your site, creates an overall image of haze. You might want to find an image that has a better, clearer color pop to offset that.

- You might want to work in a couple of photos on each page to break up any content monotony that might occur.

- The Services page is an awful lot of italicized text. Italics should be used to accentuate something, but not vast swaths of text. To me, it looks like it's just as easily an entire page of testimonials, which people often give the overly italicized treatment.

- Service page content... I'd tighten up the writing and expand the details a bit. For example:
    -Lawn Care:
    Our speciality and something we take pride in. Let us take care of your lawn with precision. Whether it be residential or commercial, we will keep your property looking great.
    This leaves quite a bit open to interpretation. Does Lawn Care include applications? Mowing? Edging?
    -Dead fall cut up for firewood (can split if needed):
    Have blown down trees laying all over the woods? No problem we'll clean up the mess and even split that nice, dry wood for you to burn for home use. ​

This Firewood section could stand a serious rewrite. It's a grammatically awkward read.

- For some reason, your Analytics ID is outside of the appropriate DIV tag, appearing in the bottom left corner of each page.

- You need your service area/contact info, on each page. You make it easier to contact your web host, via their link on each page, than you do your own company.

- The Estimating page has a different banner than the rest of the site (no logo).

- The Contact and Estimate pages are redundant.

All in all, looks good, just needs some tweaking and SEO applied.

7. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Tonygreek I really appreciate it. You just pointed out a number of things I, and many others have yet to notice. Can I ask if you have done a lot of web design type stuff in the past?

Thanks,

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Anytime.
    Yes and yes. At some point or another, you've likely visited one of my project sites. I've worked quite a bit in the automotive and entertainment industry.

9. Lawn132012

Lawn132012 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I really like the short and sweet website but a few testimonials couldn't hurt. Like the pictures and if you gave the address of the places they were taken they would mean more considering they is no personal names attached to them. The MORE personal you make it the more people can refer to those people.
    Before you post the address of the work make sure you ask. Also it would be a good shot of you with the owners after project is completed with a Business sign in the background it just adds a nice touch.

10. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

As one who has read some great info. from your posts, could you give us your site or sites you've worked on? I'd like to look at it.

Thank you sir.