Anyone want to exchange links?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rock-Lights, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Rock-Lights

Rock-Lights LawnSite Member

Would you like to exchange web site links with us in order to drive more traffic to your site? I'm not sure how internet savvy everyone is here but if you didn't already know, link popularity is one of the highest weighted criteria used in ranking your site in the search engines. The more related sites linking to yours the higher your site's ranking climbs in the search engine results. If you'd like to exchange links with us, please copy and paste the following HTML anywhere on your site you'd like..

<p><a href="" title="Rock Lights for Landscaping">Rock Lights</a> made from high quality, weather-resistant, low voltage composite stone.</p>

Then just send us an e-mail with the HTML to add your link to our site.

Also, I'm a web programmer by trade so if anyone here would like some other search engine tips or website advice, post your question here or send me an e-mail. I'd like to contribute something to the other members on this great site but I'm a newbie when it comes to landscape/lawn questions :)
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone else care for a Spam sandwich?? :)
  3. Rock-Lights

I'm sorry if it sounds like spam, I was just trying to do my part to contribute and educate everyone on how they can spread the word about their site. Again, if anyone here needs help with a site, just ask! Thanks :)
  4. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

im in the process of redoing my site.. and have thought about a "links" page. let me talk to my site guy and get back to you.
  5. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

post up what your banner looks like and I may look into adding it to my site when it gets completed here in the near future
  6. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

mine or his? i dont have a banner yet.. guess i would need to work on that part of it.. you can see my site as of now. but the new site will be WAY better with a shopping cart and the whole shaa bang..
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

NO, it is NOT spam to ask to trade links but I recommend you watch for competition what I mean is you may NOT want to trade with the guys up the street from you but then someone from another state THAT would certainly NOT hurt.
    What I recommend is build a 'Links' page and first arrange them alphabetically then as the list grows larger you might consider categorizing a bit.

You are correct in assuming link-pop is important but not JUST for search engine ranking. Matter of fact when it comes to link-pop, I could give a rat about the engines because the ULTIMATE purpose of a link list is to get ONE site's visitors to visit the others as you may notice you will get more CLICKS through the links than ranking you gain, so CLICKS are the purpose of text links.
    Let me put it another way: At, over HALF my traffic comes from trading links and other people linking TO my site from theirs, that's despite being listed on Yahoo and Dmoz and with a Google PR of 5 and before I got all THAT happening, it used to be over 90 PERCENT of my traffic came this way - If the big search engines went offline tomorrow, my site would still get traffic - Text links are the simplest form of dynamic, interactive content on the Internet, the plain old-fashioned text link is what weaves the web, it is what connects everything, your building a link list actually helps INDEX the World Wide Web while it adds free content to your site! You BET visitors will benefit in the end as well.

couple of quick things:
    Keep it targeted - trade with sites kinda like yours, this helps keep the traffic from getting confused.
    Don't be afraid to trade with OTHER sites, you might get into a few small-time dealers might trade with you, maybe a rent-all shop, who knows... Also look for SMALL search engines in YOUR area, they are hard to find but they DO exist, for example here in Midlothian Va a small town outside the city of Richmond, we have
    You might also check and see if there are engines specifically related to Lawncare (check under Agricultural as well) that will list you for free.
    uhm.... well I guess check at
    See what they have.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here is some more:

If you can find a proper category (I couldn't, it's a LOT of them LOL), Galaxy is one of the OLDEST directories on the Internet (online years before Yahoo) and the guy is pretty cool and will list your site in his directory for 10 bucks 1-time fee BUT you need to find the right category. My site is listed on Galaxy and it DOES send some clicks also it helps a bit getting into Google.
  9. Rock-Lights

^ Well said topsites. I'll have to check that galaxy link out, I haven't heard of them before.
  10. Rock-Lights

Well, I do have a banner (see my signature) But I was really just looking for a text link exchange to put on a Links page like topsites mentioned above. I wouldn't be opposed to swapping small banners that would fit in a side column of the site though :D