anyone who said $2-$3 don't matter......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 2, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a recent thread titled, "if you lowered your prices $3...", alot of you guys thought it wouldn't matter. well, i'll tell you what i'm seeing the last few days- there are 3 gas stations here very close together, almost within view of eachother. one has a price of $3.19 per gallon, another $3.09 per gallon, the third $2.99 per gallon. GUESS WHAT? the $2.99 per gallon station is mobbed, lines out the lot, down the street, the other night the cops were there, and eventually closed the station down for 2 hrs to regain order. the other 2 stations do not have even one car buying gas from them. so if you think $2-$3 don't matter to the consumer, you are terribly wrong. i see people fighting, arguing, waiting in line for an hour.... TO SAVE TEN-TWENTY CENTS!!

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, manny would drop everything for the chance to save a few dollars. It's sad that many would risk quality, reliability and even a long relationship with a quality lco.

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

true, but some people are fanatical about gas. My dad will spend $5 to drive to a station that has $.08 cheaper by the gallon. Even if he was bone dry, he just saved $.08 x 30 gal $2.40.

But the big difference is people buy gas all the time and see prices rising like an unfetered helium balloon. Lawn prices are relatively fixed for the year and are not advertised on every street corner. And certainly aren't going up 7% a day.

4. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

People are so stupid.
    If your paying $3.00 per gallon, whats the difference in $3.20? Maybe a couple of dolllars.
    Heck I would pay $3.20 just to avoid the line at the cheaper station.

It is still cheaper then what they pay in Europe/UK. Us Americans have taken cheap gas for granted for too long. Everybody in the world pays a great deal more than US. To them, they would love to pay $3.20 per gallon, rather then pay $3.00 per liter.

5. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

I ll Tell ya what is stupid.... your not thinking too well. Look I have a truck with a 30some gallon tank. .20 cents a gallon is a 6 dollar difference. i know I use well over 30 gallons of gas a week(that is just in mowers). plus a work truck that has a dual tank setup.... my god, think about what you are saying. people right now are really worried about the gas prices. it will start to decline soon enough(but they don't see that). I also think that with the amount of gas I buy a week I would go to a different station for a 3 cent difference. Also this is America, and there is a reason we don't pay what the Brits pay. besides if you think Americans are taking advantage of the price of fuel then I will sell you gas a 7$ a liter if your willing to buy it from me...(I don't think you would), I would ride a freaking horse before I pay that much...

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Gas is gas. The only levels are the different grades. But there could be many many differences in lawn services. I guess it all depends on what the customer is looking for. Iv'e had many customers ask if it was cheaper if I don't edge or cheaper if I don't trim, I don't like to, not do any one of these services and they so far wanted everything done but they are asking.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Went to get gas with my mom for her van and we found a station that was $2.79 when all the rest were $3. That station had quite a few cars. The gas station that was 2 business down had cars at it too, i didn't understand that one! This was this past wednesday, now regular is about $3.10, for me its very unbelievable because of my age and having not experiencing anything like this before.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, when you spend over $100 at the gas station, .20 becomes a big deal.

This statement that Americans have taken cheap prices for granted is really starting to piss me off. I don't give a rats behind what the British are paying or anyone else for that matter. I can think a a few countries who pay much less than us Americans.

9. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

I don't really care what the gas prices are at.... The customers are the ones paying for the increase. If you have not raised your rates, you are hurting......

10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

European prices are so high due to the large percentage per liter that goes to taxes, we don't have nearly as high taxes per gallon. So anyone using this rationale as to why we shouldn't be concerned over the price per gallon is not evaluating from an equal standpoint, not comparing apples to apples on this argument.