1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone with a leaf vac system..i need some advice or tips!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Aug 16, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone with any ideas i sure could use them, I am looking to get a leaf vac but am not sure how or what i am going to mount it too or even if i want to get a tow behind. I am going to buy one of 3 things, a dump truck, a dump trailer or a dump insert for my f250 pick up. My concern is i work alone so lifting off the vac inorder to dump the leaves with a dump trailer or dump truck might be hard. I really dont want to have to buy a dump truck though so im going crazy with what to do, any advice. I do know i plan to buy a billy goat with the most hp as i can afford once i figure which way to go. Thanks Dave.
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

BIGW! Where you been? How is the biz treating you? Glad to see you are still around.
  3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I have the same question about the leaf loader. I have a dump insert, which has been an excellent tool. But mounting the vac on the tailgate is a problem when it is time to dump. I ruled out the dump trailer because I will need to put the equipment back in my trailer...a tough job when it is full of leaves.

I have thought about mounting the vac on the trailer. When I go to dump, I'd have to drop the trailer, then dump the leaves.

Has anyone else done this?
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be going with a dump trailer. The dump insert will run you roughly $2000-$3000 depending on model. The problem is though, a 250 don't have enough payload to make it worth while. I was gonna get a truckcraft alluminum insert for my 06 f250. When it all boiled down though, I can haul more material on my 16" trailer then I would be able to legally carry in the truck. Get a 6x10 bri-mar. Their like 1800 or so lbs empty so you have a bit over 4 tons capacity. You can grab them for below 5 grand so its a pretty good deal IMO.
  5. bigw

but how and where would i mount a leaf vac to the trailer without having to take it off every time i want to dump?
  6. George Mason

George Mason LawnSite Member

I am not sure we have the same thing you are talking about but it could work in principal. I have a large vacuum system on a large lawn tractor that I use, and we I started to take it out onto jobs I had to figure out something real quick for the customers that didn't want me to dump on their property, i.e. I had to get the leaves from the dump trailer to the back of my truck. I now use four rubbermaid garbage cans, placed in the trailer. They take a little space but the ease of opening the trailer, removing them and dumping them in the truck bed makes it well worth it. I hope this might help, it works nicely for me. Be sure to see my thread from today about a potential job I have, and see if you can help me out.

Good luck,
  7. cowboytim

cowboytim LawnSite Member
    from MN

mount the vac on your trailer thwn all you have to do is hook or unhook the hose. Been doing that for years works perfect
  8. bigw

where on the trailer? they have the big box with the battery and pump in them on the tongue and if you mount it on the back then you have to lift it off right? maybe you have a picture of where you mounted yours?
  9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You could hang it on the front of the trailer. You would probably be building wood sides for it. You could frame it on the hitch side of the trailer in the air toward the top. It shouldn't be to hard to brace it so its strong enough to support the 300 or so ounds of a 16 or 18hp unit.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

if you are going to get an insert then you mount the vac on the front of the trailer with the discharge hose going into a box on the truck. or with a dump trailer put the vac in the front right corner and secure it to the floor. you will be able to dump with it still attached wont hurt it a bit used one like that for years