1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone with a Quick 36 used a step saver?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CURB APPEAL NC, May 27, 2005.

CURB APPEAL NC LawnSite Member

Am wanting to get one but the price is a little high considering the cost of the mower. Wondering if it would be pointles since 36's are mostly used for back yards and small prop's. Idealy I need to get a Larger mower for bigger lots but cant afford it at this time. this is my main mower. thinking on larger lots it would be a "step saver" anybody with a 32 or 36 WB have any advice or info?
  2. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Hustler 37", and considering how fast it is, I don't think I would want to run it very much without the Bull-Rider. But the Quick is a smaller mower, and one of the strong points of a mower that size is the manueverability in small spaces. which you lose with the sulky.
  3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I know a couple of people who have the step saver, and they say it works very well, but turning is a bit harder than usual.

I have smaller areas, and places that require me to NOT have a sulky at various parts of the property, along with larger areas that have a gate. so, I made a proslide fit my quick 36. if you have any mechanical ability, it would be a snap, and I'd be happy to show you how to do it, but the step saver is better if you have some banks or light hills that you would like to use the sulky on. the proslide does not work well on hills, the weigh of the operator will point it upward. so the step saver would be your best bet for that. but if you've only got flat areas, I would be happy to lead you through the proslide installation if your interested.

Not familiar with the pro slide! how does it work/look?
  5. Bethelboy

Bethelboy LawnSite Member

I have the step saver and I like it. Even if there were times when you didn't want it on for maneuverability purposes you can remove it in 30 seconds. The pro-slide does sound good though if it is flat enough....I'm up here in the mountains.
  6. TClawn

ya, if you got mountains, definatly go with the step saver.

do you think the step saver or proslide will be ok?
  8. TClawn

yeah, I think it will pull with either one. I would go with the step saver if you weigh that much though, the verticall pull on the front end of the mower would mean that you have to add at least 20lbs to the front end to keep it from popping up. the q36 engine is already frontally mounted, so I don't think it would take more than 20lbs. the step saver would probably be easier, unless you feel like bagging shot gun shot and stuffign it under the front castors.