Anyone with an enclosed trailer..a few dumb questions im sure!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Mar 13, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Just have a few questions about using enclosed trailers..

#1 Should you always put the rider mower towards the front of the trailer and the WB in the back or dont it matter?

#2..How do you keep your zero turns filled up with gas,do you just use gas cans that you keep in the trailer or do you fill them at the pump through the side door or something? {dumb question im sure but im serious i need to know this}

#3..On tight drive ways with low visabilty leaving that driveway is it easier to pull in and back out or back in and pull out? {another dumb question to some of you im sure but once again not dumb to me} want to be safe!

#4 do you close your ramp door while on property mowing or leave it open for quicker entrance for other equipment?

Ok well im hoping to get a few serious answers here and not alot of "what are you stupid" Do you have insurance post lol. Thanks!

2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

#2. Many people pull them off. Also have gas cans.

#3. I pull in and back out.

3. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

hope this helps...im new in the enclosed trailer business, but I'd put the heavier machine over the axles and the wb in front..might not matter, but that's what i'd do. i know a lot of people keep extra gas cans and just fill their machines with the cans and i may do that in the future, but i just unload refill and load em back up. as far as turning around, i find it easier to turn around using your driver side mirror. so backing into a driveway on your left, then turning and pulling in a driveway on your right then backing on the street. i'm sure if there was a situation where i didnt feel comfortable, i'd close the ramp while cutting a yard, but haven't yet.
    btw...do you have insurance? j/k ask away my friend

4. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks guys anyone else??

5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't park in the customers drive (well not too often) I always seem to get grass stuck under the tires or someone wants to pull in. btw, if the grass is wet you will leave green tire marks with your mowers and your truck.

I leave my ramp down (open trailer) cause it's a pain but I got everything locked down so if I go out of sight it's as safe as I could make it. In an enclosed trailer I would imagine you would have all kinds of things that could walk away... I might be tempted to close it and lock it.

As for gas, I do both. Fill it up at the pump and have gas tanks.

I put my big mower at the front of the trailer because I got better place to tie it up and it can't move forward when I stop however, if my trailer had a side door I might use that to take a small mower in and out, I've seen that before.

At my own home, I back in the trailer because I feel it's safer as far as theft.

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You want to balance your load heaviest items over the wheels and then do your best to keep the rest equal.

I never park in clients driveway unless its a big estate where there is a parking lot.

We always keep the ramp closed and locked on job sites. We use a combination lock on job sites, not the high school gym lock but a brass 4 digit type, simple and quick to open. At night we use better Puck type locks.

For Gas we have a 15 gal nurse tank from northern tools with filler hose and nozzle mounted high on the tongue. It was 100 bucks and a great time saver.

7. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

az gardner...you have a pic of the gas tank and how you mounted it?

8. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

Big lag is right keep most of the weight over the axels to prevent the trailer from swaying
    if you have a side door you can fill up that way it's easier than pulling it out.

9. MitchDaniel

MitchDaniel LawnSite Member

You should definitely make certain that you have enough tongue weight on the trailer...if not, it spells disaster. Several people i know learned that the hard way (A guy my dad knows got killed recently because he had all of the weight at the back of the trailer. The truck got to swaying badly, and he eventually lost control and flipped the truck.) I would measure the bumper of the truck empty, and then when everything is loaded, making sure the bumper has dropped a few inches.....but not too much!

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

With my Mower over my wheels, I can pull up to the gas pump so that the rear is lined up with the pump, and the gas nozzle will reach the mower through the back door. I have a 16' trailer if that helps. My WB is in the front.

I back into my own driveway, and one customer who is on a street that I cannot park on. You have to get used to using your mirrors and looking at where your going to back up the trailer next so you know its clear.