Anyone with Good tree/shrub knowledge?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Pythium, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Pythium

Pythium LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I have a customer who has a Blue Spruce that the new growth is turning a purplish/brown color. Not all the new growth, just some of it, and it is scattered in no real pattern around the 7' tall tree. It looks similiar to Rhizosphaera needle cast, but it is the new growth not older and all over the tree. They have two other spruces that have NO damage. No evidence of mites either.
    All three trees were treated with bifenthrin about 5 weeks ago. I can't find any sensitivity issues with spruces and bifenthrin. I am leaning towards a sensitivity issue since nothing else seems to fit. any thoughts??

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

How long is it in the current location?

Have you checked for mites?

3. Pythium

Pythium LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

It has been there 3 years. I did not find any mites. It started to do this after the bifen treatment..which is why I am leaning towards possible sensitivity to it.

4. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

Got pics?
    It sounds like lack of water to me..build well, water in with wetting agent + mulch. Probe it and check it out

5. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Have you checked for Spruce Tip weevils? Generally, they attack the top center leader of the tree (the branch that you would put an angel on if you were to decorate the tree at Christmas) but I've seen them attack other areas as well. You'll see browning on the needles and then holes in the woody part of the branches.

If the Bifenthrin was sprayed on a hot day, there could be some phytotoxicicity taking place.

6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Pythium,

What rate was the Bifen that you suspect phyto?

7. Pythium

Pythium LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

.5oz/m rate of bifen. I will check into the weevils. I didn't probe the soil, but these people water the daylights out of their plants (despite my efforts to convince they don't need daily watering in our area NE OHIO) Could It be from being too wet?

8. Pythium

Pythium LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

My rate shouldn't have caused any phyto reaction and the other two spruces are fine. I told them I will keep an eye on it.
    The only other thing I can possibly think of is herbicide volitization near the tree. none of the needles curled however.
    I don't have pics. But may be able to get some Monday.

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Need pics and background regarding soil type, soil drainage, sun exposure, and when/how all trees were planted. I sincerely doubt that an insecticide would have any ill effects. More like transplant shock/root damage/poor planting techniques, etc. Keep in mind that no two trees are the same. So many variables, cuz this tree may have had existing probs when it was transplanted to it's new location. Keep in mind that all trees in the pine family (pines, firs, spruces) prefer a well-drained soil with full sun.

Need pics & detailed info to make a "guess", and that ain't the best thing unless one personally examines the tree.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am with Hissing cobra on this one. If it is scattered--and only one tree of 3 sprayed--not likely spray damage. Check for insects in the stem below the dead area. You may need a tree expert for this. Bartlett maybe.