Anyone with the new F-150 3.7 V6 ?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Deori, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Deori

Deori LawnSite Member

Hey, the title pretty much says it. Just curious if anyone on the boards has had any experience with the new 3.7 in an F150? 300 HP and 17/23 mpgs (4X2) is pretty impressive in my book. Hoping to get another year or two out of my tired 4.2 and pick one of these up used if it's as good as it seems. Would appreciate the feedback from anyone who has driven or owns one of these.

Thanks!

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I drove one for a couple thousand miles, but did not tow with it. I would imagine it would be just fine for towing a 3-4k lb trailer on mostly flat ground. But even without a trailer, it downshifted a lot in the hills of Virginia. Overall, Florida to Virginia and back, it got 21.5 mpg even with all the miles at 70-80 mph. Had a small load in the back up and a little bigger on the way back. It does have pretty impressive acceleration. The 1-2 shift occurs at about 6700 at WOT.

With that said, if I am buying a new F150 that will be used quite a bit for towing, it will be either a 5.0 or EcoBoost.

3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

My buddy has one and I have the older(2010) 3v4.6. Its pretty close to mine with power. We both have mustangs and pulled out of a toll both towing them to the track. He was door to door with my truck pulling it to 60. The fuel mileage on the other hand is almost identical on the hwy with loads both of our obc said 15ish on the hwy when we got to the track and back.(about 30 miles one way).
    I have the nls 3.31 rear end and he has nls 3.73 gear so it helps him out a little.

4. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

My Brother just got a 4x4 fx4 with the longer 6.5' box and ecoboost. I think he has the "TowMax" package too...different gears, mirrors and whatever else.

Pulls his racecar with a long tounge and storage box/tire rack on the front of the trailer every weekend a couple hundred miles a weekend.

He also just hauled a 33' bumper pull camper for about 5 hours last weekend.

I know he LOVES the power and comfort of the truck. The mpg's are about 17 if I remember correctly when pulling, and 22 unloaded.

5. Deori

Deori LawnSite Member

That's pretty good mileage going at those speeds. The best I get out of my 4.2 doing all highway from Vegas to California is about 17-18 going about 80 the whole way, some good hilly stretches on that drive too. Next time I might slow it down to see if I can get 20 :) Wonder how it does with mostly city driving as that's mainly what I do. I get about 14-15 in the city unloaded right now, around 12 pulling a #2500 trailer.

6. Deori

Deori LawnSite Member

I read a good post a while back on here, the "V6 work truck shootout":

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=340260&highlight=shootout

It's a pretty slanted review as they're comparing Ford's new V6 and trans combo to Dodge & GMs yet to be updated ones. They did mention that Ford's 3.7 got around 20 in the city, but dropped a lot towing just a few thousand pounds, down to 14-15 so that sounds about right. Thanks for the response!

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Only about half the miles were at those speeds. I calculated the fuel used for the entire trip and that's what it got. Now watching the trucks mpg screen, it seemed to be in the 19.5-20 mpg when on the interstate. Rural highways brought the number up.

I've made this same trip three times in trucks, and once in a Trailblazer. The SUV was right at 20mpg. The 4x4 F150 was a 2006 with the heavy payload package. It had the 5.4 and 4.10 gears. It was right at 16.5 mpg. And the other was a Chevy 4x4 with the 4.8 V8. It got a little over 18 mpg.

So this truck was quite a bit better than any of the others. It was a crew cab 2wd with 3.73's. When I got it in it and drove off the lot, I wasn't sure that it wasn't a V8. The little engine runs pretty good.

8. Knight511

Knight511 LawnSite Member

I would go with the idea of them not being updated except that GM has not updated their V6 in what? 2 decades? They still haven't set up any real updates... even their V8s are getting long in the tooth and falling behind the times... ;)

9. Evergreen321

Evergreen321 LawnSite Member

I just bought my 11' 3.7... Great truck!! But i gotta take it back to get the transfer case checked out.. I have a hard time keeping the 4low from popin out of gear.. Great truck muuuch better pick up power than my old 5.4.. Cant even feel the trailer or the boat.. Big plus too on the large fuel tank.. Takes $110 to fill up from empty but lasts a good 600miles.. Good truck!!

10. Deori

Deori LawnSite Member

Hey Evergreen, glad to hear it! Out of curiosity, which 5.4 are you comparing it to? I'm guessing you had the older gen 2 valve? And approx how much weight are you pulling with the new truck? The trailer and boat you mentioned.

Thanks!