anyone work at cat or similar?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by whiffyspark, Jul 31, 2014.

1. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

My little gold mine got picked up by everyone. Last year it was name my price his year it was less than half of last year. I just got sick of it.

We were doing 1500 in less than 3 stops everyday. Had one helper or ran solo sometimes. Materials were less than $150 for the day
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

If excellus is granted their proposed 17.3% increase next year in NY with my deductable and premiums next year it will cost me $524/week for family coverage before the insurance company spends a dime. The lying coomie care sure was a great deal wasn't it? Insurance is a huge nut now days.
  3. anthonyp

anthonyp LawnSite Member

Is that insurance cost---just regulars insurance---for a regular family?? Sure seems awfully high Tony
  4. whiffyspark

Went to a demolition company this morning. Health insurance was around 30 a pay period
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. whiffyspark

Well I start Monday.

Took a job with old employer. Great benefits good hours. Hiring two people in spring to continue my business.

It's about 40 minutes from house, but the money is worth it. I have two regional managers fighting over me lol. There's a shop 10 minutes from my house and that manager is already trying to get me transferred down here. I haven't even started working yet lol
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. ClassicLawnCareInc

ClassicLawnCareInc LawnSite Senior Member

whats the new job?
  7. whiffyspark

Same thing I did before tech at national chain. Easy to make money there
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Better you than me, hope you do well.
  9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

How are things at the new job working out Whiffy?

I applied for a heavy equipment operator position on one of the levee projects going on. It's a temp position starting Nov 1st and ending in Feb. would be a nice gig for the winter time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

you guys are all freaking me out with all of this "get a side job" talk. My original plan going into college was to build my business up while getting a degree in finance. graduate, get a finance job and keep running the business on the side. But as the business grows, that sounds less and less appealing with only 34 credits left to graduate with a bachelors.

Whats the driving force of working for other companies? Whiffy, you have given me a lot of help over the years with advertising, and business management. Could you try finding cheaper employees to save on payroll, or eliminate one guy and give another guy a lot of overtime. Probably cheaper in the long run.

Jacob, knowing you, you have 100 things in the oven at one time, and then in 4 months, another 100 things in a completely different direction! Jack of all trades so to speak! What is limiting your growth to become a sole LCO growing the business and doing only that, not working at the fire department or doing temp work?

I have 140 lawns, 65 driveways in the winter, and probably 15-20 decent sides landscape projects while going to school full time from Sept-April 15th. I only do paperwork and bring in roughly $6500 per month net.

Are having kids the driving force of getting a "back up" job with benefits? These insurance prices are insane and i haven't priced and of this out but I'm pretty sure with blue cross blue shield you can get insurance for under $500 per month with a $40 dollar co-pay on anything under $2500, and a $250 dollars co pay on anything over $2500. Thats what my mentor/friend has and he has a kid and wife.

Let me know, its a bummer reading this and its freaking me out that its THAT TOUGH/ROUGH to make it in the lawn care and landscape industry.