Anyone work for the COUNTY?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guardian, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I am not a stranger to commercial work, but I am meeting with the county Monday concerning maintaining 6 miles of landscaped medians. Anyone do county ( or City ) work? Do you find that the formula for bidding county work is the same as .....say a Condo or a business? Does it run HIGHER? lower?

I know I can create a bid to make money, but I don't want to short myself of any GRAVY.

Oh, and what are the insurance requirements? I have the standard 1 million policy.

thanks

2. Integrity

Integrity LawnSite Member

We have a large contract with the city. We bid it like we would any other property and came in WAY under the competition, but we still make plenty on the deal. I would bid it like you bid anything else. As far as insurance goes, they required us to have 1 mil Gen. Liability and 500,000 per occurence on all vehicles. They can also be a little particular to work for. Be sure that the scope of work is crystal clear. Hope this helps!

3. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Government and local governments can be a bit fussy to work for.
    Over here they also have a reputation for being slow payers.
    Want the work done yesterday but want to take 90-120 days
    to pay for it.

4. I did work for a muni.

They payed well and on time.

They Like very long contracts (books)

Some require you to have singns posted when working.

Some want bonding.

Read the contract (book) from cover to cover.

All I can say is have fun and good luck.

5. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

I have a contract with a local city. Here they expect the bids to be lower than norn but they are not fussy. Most times I do better than they expect because I like it like that. However this city is really slow to pay invoices. They will also reject an invoice if you did not dot every i and cross every t. Insurance is what anyone would want but I also had to get a bond for any damage I might cause. The best advice I could give is to ask the gov. dept. what they expect. They are the ones with an awnser. Good Luck:cool:

6. Bonded for damage. LOL

I was going to submit a bid for some muni work here. A great $300k a year contract, with a choice of resigning for a additional 3 years with a so much % increase per a year. Exalent cotract to have. Would have been the ideal contract to have.

But they wanted a 100% bond of the entire first year of invoices for a deposit. Meaning they wanted me to give them $300k to hold till the contract was up.

However they did not give enough advanced notice to set up the bonding before the contract submition meeting, so I could not submit it.

I have to wait the whole 4 years because they resigned with the one who got it (They do crappy work and I was 2% lower and had to buy all the equipment to service it, that I had already)

Good luck but as with any job there are good and there are bad ones. Keep your ducks in a row and should not be a problem.

7. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Thanks for the advice, seems like I have all the "goods" to qualify for the job.

What integrity said about bidding "normally" and coming in low -was kinda what I wanted to know. I mean, we can all make money at say, $30+/hr. per man, but If they are used to getting bids that are higher - I might appear to be the "lowballer" among bidders. In other words, If that particular type of work goes for $40/hr per man, I want to be closer to that than my normal rate.

I certainly don't want to sound greedy (I think everyone knows what I mean) - We all want profits to stay high.

I get a SCOPE tomorrow. I'll let everyone know whats in it.

thanks

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I do a lot of work for our city and find that it pays to be present at the bid opening. Some low-ball outfit always submits a real cheap bid that on price alone would get the contract. However, if the bid format is not correct, or all the required documentation is not included ,a bid will be thrown out here. All bidders usually have the right to inspect the winning bid. I find these lowballers usually have made some errors in submitting their bid, or do not have the required insurance to get the award. Check the bid opening procedures, and if allowed, inspect the winning bid (if you are not the low bid). You may get the low bid/bids thrown out which would put you in the drivers seat. Be sure your bid meets ALL the requirements as to format and documentation. :)