anyone work on lawns when it is below freezing!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassman177, Nov 23, 2007.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i was just curious about who i9s the lawn nazi in here, persoanlly i dont work on grass unless it is atl least 38-40 degrees due to the stress on the turf and me orf course

2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

It is starting to freeze here, about 10 overnite but I am still going. Hopefully finish up the next couple days with fall clean up's. I mow short and I am able to suck things up. What I hate is chasing leaves when it is windy. Still landscaping here as well so I gotta go!

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

It's stupid to walk or drive on frosted or frozen grass.
    All you're doing is breaking off the blades of grass, just as if they were icicles!

If you don't believe this, all you have to do is go back and look at the damage as the lawn comes out of dormancy (if not before)!

Doing that is the same kind of logic as mowing the grass when it's sunny, sticky and 90 degrees out!
    If you've been around a while in that type of climate you'd have to know that you're then helping to spread diseases like brown patch around just as if they're butter on bread!

4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Up here in the northeast, if we didn't get on the turf b/c of too cold, or too hot, we'd all be looking for new careers. I've got a list of about 40 lawn cleanups to get to yet, most of them havent even started dropping leaves. Woke up this morning to 2 inches of snow and 27 degree high today. You can bet I'll be walking on frozen grass a bunch for the next few weeks.

5. Marcos

My point is....Can't you maybe go to 'Waffle House' or whatever for a little while until the sun hits the yard and 'defrosts' the grass blades in your work area?

You'd be rewarding yourself and your crew for your hard year's work a little, and you'd be doing the customer an unspoken (or maybe, truthful and spoken) favor.

6. Marcos

....and no, there's nothing wrong with walking on top of snow covered turf, of course! Given that you have a decent covering of snowfall throughout the lawn.
    The snow acts as a physical buffer and an insulator, protecting the grass from 'cracking' apart to a degree.

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, we just wait till it is noty too cold out. like the temp just broke like 35 this afternoon and it is getting colder again due to the early nights a commin. i think i may go out tomorrow but may wait till monday when it starts to geta bit nicer like upper 40 and lower 50s . i jsut dont like to have heavey machines bagging leaves on really cold not to mention drought stressed turf here. we are very dry right now.:confused:

8. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I for one have got to mow when its cold as well as when its hot if not i wouldnt have a mowing route still doing cleanups and it was 28 this am and a dusting of snow but i was still sucking leaves up At times like these we have no choice , i would much rather suck up wet semi frozen leaves now instead of wet moldy leaves come spring

9. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, same here in the southeast, but mainly because of the too hot and to dry situation. In the rare event we have a snow or ice storm, our town shuts down, so I wouldn't work. But there are plenty of mornings when it is below freezing, and I continue to work. I don't like it much, but we have to deal with it. I am not really cutting much grass this time of year, but rather bagging leaves and debris. Just making the yard look fresh with the mower. I am not too worried about it. Like you said we have to make a living. If I didn't cut when conditions were less than perfect for the lawn, I would spend a lot of time on lawnsite.com. Oh wait I already do....I mean a lot more time on lawnsite....:)

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Must be nice to have all of that extra time and money on your hands. almost every cutting day here is 90 degrees and stickey in the dead of summer. I have also cut during the first few frosts of the season until it ends, starting promptly at 7:00am, and never had an issue with turf damage.