anyone working in this cold weather??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Jan 24, 2003.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: just wondering if there is anyone out there battling the cold. we usually work year round except 2 weeks in feb. but i just had to give the guys the past 2 days off its been absolutely brutal. march is how long away??? ;)

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We've pretty much been idle since January 10th. This is too early for us! I guess the past few years have been too good. Anyway- if it warms up some like they're calling for next week, I'll bring back 4 guys for work. The 5th guy I may wait till spring, or not even re-hire. I think I'll be doing the dreaded adin the paper this spring again. We probably need a total of 8-9 guys.

Bob

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony- We're shut down right now. It's just too cold to do anything. I've been able to get some work done around my house and a lot of paperwork done. I'm going to try and get my heater going in the garage and start getting the machines repaired and ready for spring. I spent a lot of money at my dealer last season and I'm going to try and do more of the work myself. Looks like we may get some weather in the 40's by the end of next week, we'll see. Seems like March is a long way off doesn't it? Take care, Mike

4. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Working in the shop and on paper work. It's cold enough here ya can't tell what gender the brass monkey in the yard is.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Too cold. Doing some things in the shop on the small equipment, but that's it. Time to hibernate...

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I was using the "off season" time to finish getting everything ready for spring with but this cold weather the phone has been ringing off the hook for firewood sales. I already liked the cold but I am now starting to love it!

Gravely_Man

7. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Putting down pre emergent like crazy. Tried to get it all done before we bottomed out in the low 20's but am waitinguntil next week when it will be back in the 60-70 range.

8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

0530 Got up this morning with no hot water due to frozen pipes. 0630 Out the door I go to load up for some shrub and clean up work. 0635 Back inside for another cup of coffee and another layer of clothes. 0730 Back out I go wind chill is right around zero. 0735 Cancilled this morning in hopes of warmer afternoon:D First day it has been this cold. Do not want to even think about living in the frozen north again.

9. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

It was about 15 here yesterday afternoon. No way I'm doing anything but walking from the house to the truck. Actually I did go walk 2 lawns that wanted bids. That was the quickest I've ever walked thru lawns. Anyways I went to Home Depot today and bought supplies to build shelves for my new enclosed trailer. On the way I saw a LCO with a BP blowers getting up leaves in front of a car dealership. I sure hope he was getting paid well since it was 17 degrees and windy outside!

10. Acorn

Acorn LawnSite Member

I moght have a fence to do soon. Going to make the sections in the garage and then install in the spring if he agrees to the job. 345' long and 6' high

Other than that plowing snow