anyone working with 2 wire systems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by laylow1994, Jan 17, 2007.

1. laylow1994

laylow1994 LawnSite Member

just wondering if anyone here is working with 2 wire systems or installing 2 wire systems... over here in tampa i am coming accross more and more of thses systems we are picking up.... i am getting pretty good with them so if anyone needs advice let me know....

2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

My I accurately presume you are referring to an encoder system?
    If so, I agree that these things are exceedingly easy to work with.
    My experience with them comes from golf course and large commercial sites, I have as yet observed one in a residental setting.

3. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you explain these systems to me? I am not familiar with them.

4. txgrassguy

Okay, in a nutshell, the two wire encoder system is only two wires run from a specific type controller throughout the area irrigated. The respective valves are then tied into the two wire path with a decoder to identify that valve.
    Most controllers allow up to 99 decoders on one controller and you can tie in to the encoder wire path anywhere and add up to the limit the number of decoders the controller can handle.
    The more common method is a common ground wire run throughout the area to be irrigated. Then each individual valve has to have a dedicated wire running from the controller to that specific valve. One of the issues with this system is to add an additional valve, you can still tie in to the common wire yet still have to run one dedicated wire from the controller to the valve.
    Much more wire, and labor is necessary to install the more traditional system.
    As well as the controller usually cannot handle more than 40 stations or so.
    Hope this helps.

5. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Can two wires of a conventional system be used with the decoder style system to retrofit a large sytem to a new style decoder controller like the Hunter ACC?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

John

6. txgrassguy

No, one cannot convert an existing modular controller to an encoder system while maintaining all the components of each. The two are completely different.
    The same goes with the wire paths as the traditional modular irrigation systems do not have a continuous two wire path. Remember, there is only one common wire then the specific power wire to the valve.
    If you were to convert and existing modular system to an encoder, you would have to run a new two wire path, change out of the valves (depending upon manufacturer) and change out the controller.
    The encoder controller by Hunter is a IDS, not the ACC.

7. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

If i'm not mistaken, i believe i've seen a 2-wire module for the ICC. so for example the first 20 zones are a traditional multi-strand, the rest is 2-wire off the new module.

but you're still bound by the 48 zone capacity.

i'll try to find the specific module.
    pg

8. Without A Drought

This is the first thing i found. here's the link.

HTML:
    http://www.underhill.us/PDFs/2Wire.pdf

9. Without A Drought

This is the first thing i found. here's the link.

10. txgrassguy

Well, the link didn't work for me but I'll take your word for it.
    Learn something new everyday.