Anyone wtih Topiary experience?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Green-Pro, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey all,

I'm posting some pics of two Topiaries at a local church. The clients are concerned about the obvious damage on the specimens and are looking for advice on which direction to go with these, continue to try and maintain them or have them removed and plant something else in this spot.

All I am aware of regarding the damage is that it has been there for quite some time (year or longer) and was likely due to, other plants that have since been removed, crowding the Topiary out. We have been in the midst of a pretty severe drought and much higher than normal temps. I hesitate to call it solely stress because of the length of time the damage has been there (no apparent new growth). I have seen many cases of weather related stress this year already, i.e. plants losing foliage prematurely, browning of wood stems, however the wood stems are still supple in these other examples, the plants are merely entering into a survival mode. I don't believe this to be the case for the Topiary, and told clients my non-expert opinion would be that the damage has been done, I would take out and replace. I did add that I would check a few other sources to help try and verify this. To that end I've contacted the folks at the nursery I use the most, county extension office, but it is the weekend and I doubt I find anything out from them until at least Monday, thought what the heck I'd try the experts here as well :waving:

Any insight or :help: is greatly appreciated

2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

What topiary?? You mean sheared to look like a tree floating above another chunk of tree? Topiary is supposed to be elaborate shapes - spirals, animals, etc.. Very contrived looking and diffiicult (and expensive) to maintain properly. These are too close to the building anyway. Rip 'em out, they're never likely to be attractive again.
  3. Green-Pro

Heh Heh these are midwest farm topiary LOL !! Thanks for the reply Kate just making sure I have many good opinions to back up what I already had in mind. The juniper and cedar type shrubs I've seen like these examples are usually not going to regenerate new growth. This is an older couple that wants to donate the cost of this job to the church, they just want added reassurance to pretty much what I've already told them, thats why the extension office & nursery were asked about regeneration/repair to these also.

Thanks for the reply

4. br1dge

br1dge LawnSite Member

that damage is most likely from mites. systemic pesticide will prevent future damage, but they are shot..
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed!!.... GONZO! OUT THEY GO!
  6. Green-Pro

Thanks everybody, thats exactly what I advised but like I said older couple very cautious, good people though I've worked for them before.

Thanks again