Anything better?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by WhiskeyMike, Oct 14, 2013.

1. WhiskeyMike

WhiskeyMike LawnSite Member

I'm in the market for a ZT mower. Currently planning on a Bad Boy 54" Magnum MZ with Kawa motor for initial price of 3999. Is there a better deal for or close to the money that I should consider before pulling the trigger?

I've looked at Gravely, hustler and scag. But can't figure out what's better about them. In most cases, they seem like more money for similar size and grade.

2. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I would spend a little more money. I haven't heard many bragging about their Bad Boy.

3. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Higher end mowers are super fast. You can turn an 8 hr day into a 5 hr day with a fast mower

4. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm running the big top end mowers and my choices are Hustler and Scag. Exmark would fall in line next and then maybe John Deere but this is big commercial. When comparing Bad Boy's commercial to these they're not even in the same league yet. Not sure about how the residential models compare though. Demo for sure. Look close at factory and dealer support. Good luck.

5. planetlc

planetlc LawnSite Member

Bad boy makes a solid mower. I ran one for six years as my primary mower, and it's my backup now. Most people are unfamiliar with the brand but more than happy to throw in their two cents. I would suggest looking at snapper pro as well if you have a local dealer

6. solaman

solaman LawnSite Member

I;m looking at a Hustler Raptor HD in 42 inch . It has a 21 hp kawi motor,fabucated deck for around $3000.00. The 52 is a little more. The Snapper pros are a good value for a commercial mower.

7. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

What is it you do not like about BB ?

8. BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99 LawnSite Senior Member

I know that Wright, Toro, Exmark and Scag have all spent considerable time working on the way the decks on their equipment take in and expel the grass efficiently. That factor alone I'd choose one of the big 4 over Gravely, Bad Boy or Deere. Yes, the price is less, but if you spend time on going slower because the deck doesn't discharge the clippings efficiently enough or that you have to go back over parts of the lawn because you're leaving stragglers, your savings on the mower will quickly be eaten up and you'll end up losing profitability. I haven't experienced Bad Boys, but I have experienced Hustlers and their deck design is about as horrible as it gets. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  9. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just gonna throw this out there. but if your in that $3999 range. If you have a Bobcat dealer around, go check out their CRZ 48'' model. I've sold over 30 this year and didn't have not on warranty claim. And they cut bahaia grass excellent and built like a tank. But it really boils down to your dealer support. Go with someone that'll take care of you. Being around Austin- you should have your pic

10. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

You get what you pay for.
    Scag, Gravely and JD have the best all around cut in the industry. These decks are copied more than any other and for good reason. These machines are also built better than they have to be with no expenses spared. With price point machines your not going to get the build and design quality.
    Posted via Mobile Device