anything for money?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bobbygedd, May 28, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

would you do a job, even though it was not neccesary, and a huge waste of the customers money, if they demanded you do it? here is the short version: she has established beds throughout the property. many plants, trees, grasses, etc, that have been there for years. her request was that we topdress the beds with 2-3" of fresh topsoil, then apply 2-3" of fresh mulch. my advice to her was that the level didn't need to be raised, we should just do the mulch. she wasn't listening, her position was simply that this is what she wanted. i quoted an outrageous price, she bit. now the fun begins. would you have done the job for her, even though you know it made no sense? we are talking roughly 8 yds of topsoil, then 8 yds of mulch. money was no object with her

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Give her what she wants IMO. Period

3. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

If you explained to her she didn't need it and she still wanted it done i would do it,after all these people are hiring us for our knowledge and you tried to tell her,sp yeah i would do it.good luck man!

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Of course. If it wasn't me, it would be money in someone elses pocket.

5. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

If she's paying ...... I'm playing.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, this story has many parts. part 2: sure, i did the work, and charged handsomely for it. then......she requested that the mulch be moved. she said it was too close to the base of the plants, and that a 5" ring should be created around the plants and trees, by moveing the mulch. she asked that we come back, and create these rings. of course, at an added fee. would you accomodate her on this request also?

7. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Are you new? Just do the dam work and collect your money.

8. Shadygrove

Shadygrove LawnSite Member

But be careful, raising the grade by 5-6" (2-3" topsoil, 2-3" mulch) around mature plants could cause some real problems for her landscape. Crown Rot anyone?

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Take the $$$$$ and laugh all the way to the bank.
    Best part is she will be a repeat customer when the plants start to die off. I love idiot customers that know it all!

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

ARE YOU NEW???......... Now that's the funniest line I've heard this week. Well said... :p :p ;) ;)

Actually, it's just normal BOBBY G.......That's funny in itself :dizzy: :