Anything wrong with e-mailing estimates?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JeffW0011, Sep 20, 2007.

1. JeffW0011

JeffW0011 LawnSite Member

The last few weeks I have just been swamped with people wanting estimates. Mostly on aeration and overseeding, but other things as well. I have noticed there are a lot of tire kickers out there. I wouldn't get 4 estimates if I was putting on a room addition!! I interrupted a busy work day and drove several miles out of my normal service area to give an estimate on a big aeration and OS job. The lady was like "well now that I have my fourth estimate...." Later that night I e-mailed her an estimate. I even said in the e-mail I would be happy to drop a written estimate in the mailbox or hand deliver it to her the following day. She wrote me back a sort of snippy e-mail saying I blew my shot by not delivering the written estimate to start with. Is she just a jackass or was I wrong. I have had about a dozen requests this week....I have not got time to hand deliver them all and don't want to waste time and postage mailing them to tire kickers....Is there anything wrong with e-mail estimates?

2. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

If she gave you her e-mail address she must have felt it was ok to use. I wouldn't't worry about it. Imagine what she would be like if did get the job and she found even the smallest thing wrong with it. Consider yourself lucky.

3. grassnazi1

grassnazi1 LawnSite Member

at the end of june I actually found myself swamped with work to do and emailed out quite a few estimates and not had any bad responses. just my 2 cents.

4. GREENTIMEJG

GREENTIMEJG LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Has anyone ever tried charging like 20.00 dollars for estiments and deducted the cost off the service if you got the job. It seems like this may cut down on the tire kickers and save time and money. I do not see why using email would be a bad thing. It would keep your cost down which could make it better for customer in the long run and she got it faster than she would have by mail or you taking it over the next day.

5. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

She wrote me back a sort of snippy e-mail saying I blew my shot by not delivering
    --------------
    And there good sir is your red flag of a close call with future anerisms&headaches.

6. JeffW0011

JeffW0011 LawnSite Member

The only thing I can figure is she must have been trying to get a lowball estimate from somebody so she could dangle it in the face of the guy she really wanted. Maybe she was just pissed about my price.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

probably so. I email invoices & estimates all the time. People are busy, not to mention I don't get time some days until after 9.

8. grassnazi1

grassnazi1 LawnSite Member

true, I have seen a lot more of exactly what you are talking about the last month or so in my area. I had one person who was a referal from a very satisfied customer, her lawn was bigger then his but didnt have as many trees or trim spots so I charged her the same price as the referal, she told me I was too high in price and she would be going with someone else, a week later her grass was a mile high and she called and said, leave it on my porch in writing and i will pay you what we agreed upon last time we talked and schedule it in for tomorrow, she was having people over that afternoon and needed rushed, called her back and informed her it would need to double cut and the price would be adjusted accordingly, now she told me I am just trying to rip her off and she will let her friend who refered her know about it. I said "good...you do that, and if he takes your side and agree's with you, I will cut HIS lawn for the rest of the season for free" 3 days later there was a "inconvience check for $45.00" in my mail box from my good customer apologizing for sending me to a PITA he refered. I guess the morale of the story is, email or written contract, some people are always going to be jerk off's and others are diamonds.... needless to say, I'm not mowing for free and no one's cutting her lawn either! :) So I wouldn't think twice about it, IF i had gotten every job I priced I wouldn't be here writing this... I would be getting a tongue bath from the swedish bikini team and sipping mai tai's!

9. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

I E-Mail stuff all the time. No one has a problem with it.

On my website people can tell me if they want me to call them or E-Mail the est.

10. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. I email a lot of estimates to customers but I -do- call them in the same day to talk to them over the phone.

Sounds like she was just being :dizzy: :hammerhead: :nono: or any other explicit word I could think about.