1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyway to raise CEC

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by hamsey, Jul 26, 2004.

1. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

Just got back my soil test results. My Cation Exchange Capacity is 8.6:eek: which explains why I hve to fert every 4 or 5 weeks instead of 6 to 8 weeks. Is there anyway to raise the CEC of the soil other than bringing in new topsoil? Compost Topdress anything. Also PH is 5.7 which is very bad, time to throw away my PH tester (not the cheap one either) http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1703
    Putting lime down to raise PH. Thanks

2. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't get it....why are you throwing away your pH tester?? Is the tester result much different from the soil test results? False readings?
  3. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

When I checked the PH it indicated 6.75. Excellent I thought I done have to lime. I checked in 4 different areas and they were all pretty close. I did not check the PH from the soil test I sent in so for now it will go on the shelf until I do another soil test next year and apply 85#/M of lime over 3 apps.

4. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Hamsey, Double or triple pass core aerating and topdressing with compost should help raise C.E.C. pretty quick. I'm not sure 8.5 is all that bad though. What is the soil type? How deep did you dig for your samples? There are fertilizers that will give 8 weeks release or more in low C.E.C. soils...I.B.D.U. being one. I'd send another sample for pH testing if I were you, but this time to Rittenhouse and see what they say. Does your tester need to be cleaned before each test? If it's a Kelway it does. I've gotten lab results all over the map before so always good to confirm findings (to quote Ronald Reagan, "trust but verify"). You for sure don't want to lime soil at 6.75 pH so it's best to check closer. Neal