Apartment and Condos waiting until last minute

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wes, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Wes

Wes LawnSite Member

I have put in 20 to 25 bids on apartment and condominium complexes in the last 2 to 3 months and they all seem to be waiting till the last second to choose a lawn maintenance company. Is this common???? I've called them all back to check on their status and none of them have made any decisions yet.

In the mean time I've got 3 people who want to work for me and I can't tell them anything.

Just wondering if this is common??

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If you would fill in your profile so we know what part of the world you are in, this would help. When we did the commercial lawns, we knew before now if we had them, but I would think it depends on the company you are dealing with. It probably isn't common for this in Alabama, but it might be in Maine. Please fill in your location in your profile.
    Thanks
    Eric

3. Wes

Wes LawnSite Member

Sorry Eric, I have updated my profile. I'm from Dayton,Ohio.

I have a couple of commercial accounts that were referred to me through other customers. The bids I put in early this year are basically cold calls. I called and asked if they had contracted anyone yet, if not would they like a bid. I was very surprised how many didn't already have contracts.

4. the guys i talked to say that year long contracts start april 1. they should let you know anytime this month usually it is by the second week in march but you should be able to call anytime this month. maybe a visit is in order?

5. Wes

Wes LawnSite Member

Lawnboy82,

One of the problems is that the people I can talk to don't make the decisions. They send my bids to corporate headquarters where they decide. I have tried to get their names and numbers, but no dice.

6. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Patience is a virtue when dealing with commercial contracts. I've waited 3 to 4 months on some before they came to a decision. Grounds maintenance is very low priority for most companies. Don't give up, but don't wear out your welcome, they'll get around to it when they get ready.

7. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing here. I still haven't heard from more than 1/2 of the proposals i put in..

8. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

Most apts and condos in my area
    decide well before the season starts.
    Most want a contract so they can set-up
    thier budgets for the year, We booked one
    apt complex in January for mowing- can't
    bet that one.
    Also we tell them are contract starts
    June 1, they pay the set amount until June
    then it can be renew every year on june 1.
    This gets you one the property the next year,
    mowing and they usaully will not look at other
    bids in march because your contract is not up
    until june and if they go looking for bids in May or
    June, most loc's are booked up or still trying to
    play catch-up from spring
    works great for us.

9. Eric Green

Eric Green LawnSite Member

I bid on a nursing home last month and I stopped in to see what the hold up was for a reply and the site manager says" well our mowing season doesn't start until June..." I looked at her like she was from Pluto!! It makes more sense now. Whoever they had in the past has the contract set up to guarantee that they'll be on that property every season.

Eric

10. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

I have dealt with many property management companies, and they almost all left things until the absolute last minute. Many of them don't even give you a list of properties until the last possible minute! You then have to run around like a chicken with your head cut off to quote them all. I think some of them do that on purpose so that you do a fast quote, make a mistake, and put in a low bid.

This is one of the reasons that I no longer do work for property management companies.

Alan