1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Apartment Complex Bid Pix: Please help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AdamCByrd, Jul 10, 2005.

1. AdamCByrd

AdamCByrd LawnSite Member

I posted a thread yesterday evening requesting some rough figures or basic rates for estimating a 500 unit, 40(+) acre apartment complex in the southeast. Now I am posting pictures.

Here are some pictures of the place. You can see that the buildings are new, but the grounds look pretty bad. Can anyone give me some rough numbers on the mowing (mowing, trimming, edging, blowing) of this by the month?

Thanks in advance

P.S. These photos are low quality so that I could upload them on my dialup computer...you still get the idea

Exc Track.JPG

Main Ent.JPG

Interior B.JPG

Interior A.JPG
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I am guessing by the photo's it is 40+ with bldgs, and parking lots, and turf included. Trimming will eat most of your time up, and walking, it is going to be best to attack this with 3- 2 man crews. trying to get this done with 1-2 man show it will quickly become the nighmare of all nightmares, also it has been my experience that apt complexs pay very poorly, and want the highest quality of service, pay attention to the trash, and other obstacles, trash can kill your times also. to place a bid, I would account for 2.5 hours for 2 acres per hours of finished production per crew. Finished meaning everythng mowed, trimmed and blown. then from there I would bid 55.00 per acre. I normally would charge more, however if they are going to be a good account then 55.00 will be a competitive price here, but if it were a home dwelling then 65-75 would be the rate. Also if they are switching in the middle of the year, they probably havent paid there bill or the last contractor under bid and now his is giving poor service.
  3. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

What we do with apts/condo complex's is break them down into single buildings or groups of buildings and figure time and costs that way. Then we just add in common areas or special projects and add it all up to get a total for the bid. Also, I always ask the property manager what they are paying now and most times they will tell us. Works well for us us using that system. Good Luck :)
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Adam, both the above is good advice. Now my question is do you have the manpower and equipment to do the job? I assuming so since you are considering it. I was asked by concerted services last spring to bid on FIVE just like this one and the price they were getting it done at was dirt cheap and the LCO did good work on them. The five were in 4 different counties, drive time was 134 miles for all 5. It took me about 1/10 of a second to give them an answer after seeing them and learning what they were paying, and they were looking for cheaper! I knew that me being solo that there was no way I would tackle the job and I really needed the biz, but I do know when to say no. Good luck with your bid.
  5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

From just looking at the pictures I would charge around $2120/cut + tax. No skipping, it is cut every week whether we are in a drought or pouring rain. I would have one guy on a 60" z, one guy on a 52"/48" standar and one guy trimming. Prices vary depending on location.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I'm a small solo operation. I wouldn't even touch it especially after your current posting.
    I can relate some info concerning big accounts though.
    When I was in commercial pest elimination, those big accounts (hotels, country clubs) would come along and just about double a route. However, when they leave (and they will), they cut your route the same way. I would rather have 10 $100 dollar accounts than 1 $1000 account. Know what I mean?
    A bigger operation could take it on in the blink of an eye, but not me.
  7. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Don' know if you can get away with this in every market but I have changed my contrats to say weekly except for July and Aug. and Nov. which are as req. Its great that I can do bi-weekly those months. I make an appearance and prune or whatever. It seems to work and they agree its in no ones interest to cut a lawn which hasnt even grown to the point where I can see where I've cut.
  8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Why would you want to do bi-weekly? Less money unless you have a set amount you bill each month...
  9. Bret's Lawn Care

Bret's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I would bill them monthly about $7,000 a month at 40 acres x $45-55 an acre