1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

apartment complex bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by o it grew landscaping, Jan 24, 2006.

1. o it grew landscaping

o it grew landscaping LawnSite Member

Any of lawnsiters that maintain apartment complexes on a weekly basis, i need help on how to bid them, what services should i include, and so on and so forth. i'ts my first commercial bid and i was wondering if someone had a format to use....thanks.....
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

What a lot of folks on here have recommened (and I try to use) is count each apt. as a small yard and figure it. Also dont forget to count for how much edging (some are a lot more than others) and how much parking/sidewalk area you have to blow off. Dont forget to account for cars parked in the way, toys, and having to deal with a hundred clients instead of just one boss. Its hard to have an exact formular as every complex is different. I will say I have never gotten one bid as so many here will do them for free. I looked at one last summer that I would not touch without going in armed to the teeth! Drug dealers and hookers standing everywhere, broken beer bottles, you know these kind and I will not touch one.
  3. ArkansasLawns

ArkansasLawns LawnSite Member

No real formula. Always add extra for the unexpected. Unexpected happens!

You can never really know what to bid untill you have done it for a year because of the people who live there. Some places don't throw trash down for you to pick up. Also check the direction the wind blows. Are there lots of trees, leaves and seed pods and pine cones to clean up year round. Think about the type of bushes that will need trimmed and the growth rate of individual plants. Do you plant anuals? Do you get paid to do that or is it a hidden cost in the contract? I got screwed on that once. Used about six hours that I didn't have. What about mulch for the beds and around trees? Is that extra or included in your bid. Remember what $$$$ you can make per hour cutting a yard. You need to make more than that doing a complex. Sometimes the complex is not real demanding but remember you want to have a "showcase" for others to gauge your work on. If you are trying to get other accounts will this be one that you can refer to? Don't bid low just to get the account.
  4. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

as far as added things, it just depends on what the manager of the complex wants. Some want bushes trimmed every month, some as needed, some never, Also some want it chemically treated some don't, I bid one last fall that wanted fresh annuals planted every spring. Your best bet is to ask the apt. manager what all the bid needs to entail, then roll with it from there! Hope this helps.
  5. o it grew landscaping

o it grew landscaping LawnSite Member

How would i start out a bid like that on paper....im having writers block.....
  6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I put in a bids for two decent sized apartment complexes last fall. The forms I used gave a description of each service and then the price. Example:

Hedging/bush trimming
    Spring clean up
    Fall Clean-up

Each of the above was the 'Heading' so to speak, it was followed by a brief description, and then the price.

Hope this helps!