1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

apartment pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kennyking, Sep 28, 2004.

1. kennyking

kennyking LawnSite Member

Can someone help me.I need help pricing apartments.
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Tough to do. I measure all area to be mowed and just figure how long you think it might take. I walked the concrete edges as if I was trimming them and see how many feet that I think I could edge in 1 minute then measure total linear feet....same with trimming. Even the small apartments took me close to an hour to do all the estimates. Bad thing about aparments is going to pick up trash, picking up toys and working around children.
    pjslawncare/landscap likes this.
  3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Every thing Walker Talker said, and it may be wise to take pictures and/or notate any & all damage left by previouse lawncare guys so u wont get accused after the 2nd or 3rd time mowing.
  4. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

Here is my help, pass. Apartment complexes absolutely suck. Flat out suck to mow. Unless it is a senior community, otherwise pass. The old company I used to work we had a complex to do. Kids all over the place, scumbag tennants, whining and bitching about the mowing, I work nights, yada yada yada. If you want to save yourself a headache, pass. Just run away, tell the guy to lose your number.
  5. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

come on now it cant be that bad. I have never bid on a apartment complex. but will be next year. What i say do is measure everything out and make sure that you take your time on doing it. I would go with about 60 an acre and not count the trimming just stick with the $60 an acre or see think about how long it would take and if it is a big property charge about $40-$50 a man hour. And talk to the person that is giving you the bid and ask as many questions you can and lean toward ques that might give you an idea how much the last company charged.
  6. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

I once got some good advice from a guy who does apartment complexes. He seaid he goes around and prices out areas individually like if they were a seperate yard and then adds them together.
  7. joe2106

joe2106 LawnSite Member

I mow a few of these and picking up trash honestly takes 10-20% of my time that could be used mowing. Be sure to count that in on the bid--people that don't own the props don't care. I'm sure some are worse than others too. One complex I mow is mostly lived in by college kids-you can imagine all the beer bottles/cans/boxes that appear every weekend.
  8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I havent figured out if there is money in apartments. I am bidding on three now. I am going to bid low but hopefully if the crew is efficient we will still make $100 an hour.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Apartments are GREAT!!!!
    Some of them are so loyal, that you can take care of the same complex for 4, 5, 6 years. Sometimes even longer with no worry. You can keep mowing year after year with no worry. That is, unless someone comes in and bids $20 less than you per month...then you're history. These management companies will sell you out and throw you to the lions in a New York minute if they can save the corp. 120 bucks a season. The thing with these places is,... is that they so often get "new managers", and each one wanting to do better than the one before. If they can save the company money, it reflects well on THEIR record. So, each time a new one comes in, including middle management, numbers get crunched. Cuts are made. Budgetizing comes into play. "Let's save some money....let's take a lower bid on the "yard service"." It happens all the time. It's happened to me, and it's happened to several people I know. It's funny, going back and talking to these complexes I did so many years ago, (some still have the same managers - and I've always been on good terms with them) and talking to them. They are paying much less today than what they were paying us 15 years ago. Go figure. Do a search on here, and use words like "NEW and Management and Apartments" along with other combinations, and see what you come up with. It's too funny.
  10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Wow I am bidding on two w/ new managers right now!! Definately words of wisdom, Runner!!