Apartments appraisal

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by comrad, Feb 13, 2007.

1. comrad

comrad LawnSite Member
    from Sac

I received a phone call from an apartment owner who wants me to do complete lawn care 2 times a month. This is my first time working with apartments, is there anything I should take into account when appraising the apartments? Any tips? Any contracts I should sign with the customer?

Thanks

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My guess is that the apartment owners or the manager is a tightwad if they only want service twice a month. Don't bother. And if you do bother, make sure you get ready for a ton of trash and dog crap...

3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I would charge him on the high side, make it worth your time so you make money. The last thing you want is doing a job that takes you longer then you expected and you wind up loosing money. Charge high incase you run into that problem.

5. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Woody is right, I would stay away from it as well. Funny thing about people who want service every other week is they expect it to be perfect but do not want to pay "perfect prices" in other words they don't care that you will have to stay double the time to make it look good, they are usually cheapskates. If you do take it on make sure you price it higher then you normally would.

6. comrad

comrad LawnSite Member
    from Sac

Yeah, I don't like doing service every other week as it messed up my schedule and makes it harder every time I come, I don't like spending a whole lot of time on one property. We will see, I will price it, if they agree, I will try it out...

Thanks for the advice!

7. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

make sure she pays you at the time you specify,get it in wrighting and charge a good price. and charge extra for the trash. they dont mind charging a fortun from the renters so be firm or let them find some one else

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd bid high to compensate for bi-weekly service. I'd also make sure that they clean up trash regularly or are willing to pay for that additional service as well. Finally, make sure you have the financing charge that will be applied after the 30 day mark in the contract. Don't let them haggle their way out of it either - they will try!

9. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I did a low ball Apartment Complex for 3 years. Talk about tight wads yes they are. However I did receive my payments on time 95% of the time and they went through 4 owners during that time. But believe me if someone comes along with a cheaper price they would let you know. Most of the time they didn't as I had the best price and that is why they paid on time. So, it's up to you. I hate to turn down anything. I mean if I have a slot to fill I will fill it. Then if I have no slots to fill and a better one comes along I might just drop the bad one and replace it with the new one.

Jason