Apb calling all landscapers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wright48, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

So I have noticed over the years that any one with a mower calls themself a landscaper or a lawn proffesional!!!!!! WTF I went to school for it paid money, worked with experienced guys,got all my pesticide lic. ,went to trade schools for masonry to call my self a landscape design and constuction company. Then you see a guy with a rag tag trailer doing pavers or re-seeding a lawn and as your looking at it its being done wrong!!!!! I wish there was a apprenticeship for landscapers to get into there own bussiness just like plumbing and electrical work. It would level the playing field and get rid of these so called"landscapers" haha anyone else agree ???
  2. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I do agree that it would help in some aspects, although the question is how well would it be enforced? Will it help to limit the lowballers and level the playing field for the professionals, or would it just end up being one more license we have to pay for while those same guys keep on working and flying under the radar?
  3. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Just because people have every thing they should, you just can't fix stupid.
  4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Well, not everyone. Look at my business name. :)
  5. Fred B

Fred B LawnSite Member

You are correct. There should be some sort standards. But who makes those standards? Right now being honest, Landscapers are a dime a dozen. You don't like the first one go down the line. If you have a truck and a mower you must be a landscape proffesional.

You even see it here on this website all the time. You can tell by the questions. Do I need sinage on my truck? Do I need commercial insurance?....

I don't want to bash people for having ambition because that is not right, But please if you are going to start up a bussiness do some local research on laws that would pertain to where you plan on operating have effect. Same thing for the education or experiance in your area. To many people have mowed their own residence as a kid and have done it during their teens, and when they can afford a truck they are now Landscape proffesionals.
  6. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

What standards do you want to see. MORE government involvement? I think there is enough of that. If a parson wants to hire a person to do substandard work then so be it. I will just wait for them to call me to correct the situation. If you do good work the word will get out about it and the work will come to you.
  7. sealcutter

sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

Or you could do what I did in February, I hired someone who knows more about landscaping than I do. He was getting laid off by my friends LSO, due to a light winter and not landing all the contracts from the previous year. He went to the tech. school for hort. and has been with Buddy's co. for 10 years. This might be one of the best business moves I ever made, we will see in 6 months. I can concentrate on growing the other side of my business and sleep at night.:laugh:
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Fat chance of that happening in North Carolina anytime soon. It is legal for any company to do up to $25,000 worth of home improvements without a contractors license. And you guy would propose that they require a test and license to cut grass?
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

When the so called "landscapers" can't or won't do a job, then I get called. Then I take the rest of the business away from them.

Eventually it works in our favor regardless.

One company I know of has "out-door" services written all over their signage. Funny how they only do a handful of outdoor services and that's it.

10. Fred B

Fred B LawnSite Member

Definitely not more government, there is way to much of that already. But if you want to be called a tradesmen or a proffesional in the landscaping field, Some sort of apprenticeship program would be nice. Up here there is a orginization called LANTA.

What I would like to see is more enforcement. EG. Commercial insurance, Truck trailer inspections, DOT signage, equal health and safety. If I follow the law and an other company dosn't thay can put in a lower bid. With no enforcement our laws mean squat.