aphids/recovery

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Jan 16, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have a client who we planted a row of azealeas for. they got infested by aphids. he sprayed . it seemed to kill them, but the leaves are brown and look dead. the plant doesnt seem dead. will these plants recover, and how long will it take? i plan on fert with higher n to sacrifice the bloom but recover some leaf growth. do u think they will recover?

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobbygedd,

You do not want to feed plants under stress with a lot of nitrogen.....here's why: When plants grow rapidly (nitrogen fert) they use carbohydrates stored up in the root system. When a plant is under stress more times than not it is LOW on stored carbohydrates and the extra nitrogen could put the plant into a motality spiral and kill it. Plants make their food through photosynthesis and that food is sugar. Iron Deficiency (chlorosis)is common on azaleas and it will limit the photosynthesis process. When and IF the azaleas Leaf Out in the spring you can spray them with an iron product like 12-0-0 iron plus from lesco at the recommended rate. There is very little N in the diluted finished spray and N is used to help the plant take in the iron. Then you should test the soil P.H. and adjust it to between 4.5-5.5 Azaleas need well drained acid soil high in organic matter to sustain life. If P.H. is above 5.5 Iron becomes unavailable to the plant and then it will decline.

Azaleas get southern red mite,azalea lacebug, black vine weevil and have problems with Phytophthora root rot in wet poorly drained sites. If the azaleas are planted in full sun then they should be monitored for azalea lacebugs in june - july- aug and sprayed as needed.

I like orthene insecticide for lacebugs because it is a systemic and the lacebugs are living on the underside of the plant's leaf and hard to contact all with contact insecticides. Also systemics are easier on benefical insects because it won't kill them if they come in contact with the sprayed plant.
    I know this is a long reply but I hope it helps you to understand plant health care a bit better.

A good book to buy is PLANT HEALTH CARE for woody ornamentals By John Lloyd.

Find out what your customer sprayed on the azaleas and at what rate and weather conditions. Horticutural oil can KILL azaleas.

Good Luck,
    Pete D

3. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Merit Merit Merit
    Check into that for an excellent systemic that can be applied for season long control.

EG

4. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been using merit for 3 years now and I found if you use it on plants that are hosts for spider mites, both cool mites and warm season mites will be WORSE on those plants treated with merit. Now I only use merit for Bronze Birch Borer on susceptible Birch trees, and to supress scale.

Pete D

5. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, merit does not work on mites. You have to monitor for mites. And if mites are around they will go NUTS!
    But clients pay for you to monitor anyway....

EG

6. NAT

NAT LawnSite Member
    from Zone 7

Move the az to shade where the spiders and other insects thrive,plant in well drained soil, hollytone after bloming time when new growth is starting.