App guy thinking about mowing?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by addis29, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would say....no. Spend the time marketing and doing more accounts of what you do. Every 15-20 minute account you sell is going to bring in more than the 45 minute account of mowing.

2. addis29

addis29 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Thanks Runner, makes sense to me.

3. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

I am one of those guys that mows and bridged to tbe app side. I think i will always keep the mowing around its good money that is always there. You dont have to start up huge. I am vary selective on who i take on now. I would say 90 % of my customers i do everything and they love it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

being app only you make more money in less time with less work...if there was enough business for it around here i'd do app only and stop mowing lol.

5. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a reason you end every other sentence with "lol" ? :hammerhead:

6. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I think you could see an extra 2000-3000 profit a week with 2 guys mowing if you did your homework. 2 guys 60 a hour and 40 hour week is $4800. I was extremely generous with expenses.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

60 an hour is the target for when they are actually working. 40 hours of income is never a 40 hour week there are things called drive time to each lawn. Load time in the morning unload time in the evening. Then there are unforeseen issues flat tires damaged blades thrown belts. Then there are the real unforeseen nightmares engine issues hydraulic issues electrical issues and problems with your 2 cycle equipment. Not sure about you but I always get stuck talking to at-least 5% of my customer's each week. Next is lunch breaks since I work my guys to the breaking point I never subtract for lunches so that's also paid. To hit 40 hours of income per man per week your actually looking at 50-60 hours on the clock per man. And its much closer to 60 then it is 50.

8. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I think with all that I still gave pretty fair estimate. Of a profit range if your working your guys full time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

$1200 is going out for payroll (for 2 man crew), 3 to 400 for fuel, 300 or so in equip. depreciation, a few bucks for wear on parts, and $60 per mowing week for commercial rated insurance. This doesn't include any building, property taxes, energy bill, administrative costs, and any other misc. expenses. To profit 2 to 3000/week in mowing, a crew would have to cut 3900 to 4900 of grass a week. That is $780 to $980 per day. That would be the most lucrative 2 man mowing crew I've ever seen in my whole life.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i just do it to try to lighten the mood a bit...sometimes it seems everything is so stiff and derogatory in posts....just do it to try to keep things lighter and not so serious.