Appartment Complex Bid Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

A local appratment complex asked me to meet them next Tuesday to give them a bid on their property. It's probably the largest complex in town but its mostly open areas with few obstacles. Theres a total of 27 buildings that would have to be trimmed around as well as a community pool. I am thinking between 8 and 10 hours with just 2 guys. No spraying round up or fert to put down. Trimming hedges will be a seperate bid. My main concern is this complex isn't the nicest one in town (i.e.: the tenants, welfare low-life type thing). I will have to leave the truck and equipment out of my sight for a while. I've got locks on the trailer and everything but what do you add to cover the risk? Also would it be better for both guys to mow, or one mow one trim? If I use the one mow one trim method, I can leave some equipment at the shop so I don't have to worry? So basically what would you bid and how would you recommend tackling it?

cardinal village.jpg

2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

is that a picture of a picture? LOL.
    you may want to think about an enclosed trailer if you get the job. Get your insurance up to date.
    Its also hard to tell the acreage of the property so can't give you a bid.
    I would put one guy on a trimmer, one on a mower....When the trimmer guy finished, he can start blowing down.

3. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

If it was up to me, I'll take what you only need for the job. Cut by sections, in another word, just mow and trim a large piece, then move everything to another location and do your next large piece and so forth. You may able to watch and mow at the same time by during this. Hope this helps. Good luck

4. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

cant really help out without knowing the turf area. I see nothing of known reference in there.

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Yeah I took a picture w/ my phone cause it wouldn't let me show the boundries. Total size of this property is probably 35 acres but the buildings and parkinglot take up over half. Already hav an enclosed but you can't always stop a thief.

6. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

I honestly don't think just because your in a low income apt. complex your equipment is any more danger of being stolen than anywhere else. We did 5 large low income complexes last year and never had a problem. These people don't want to work anyways so why would they want a mower or trimmer? It really doesnt matter if you have 2 guys mowing or each of them doing both as long as they are both working it will take about the same amount of time.

7. Icemanku

Icemanku LawnSite Member

If you gave us a quote you were thinking I bet we could give you a good idea if it's too high or low.

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I wouldn't tackle it with 2 guys.

I mow a school district. To mow approx. 15 acres and trim, you're probably looking at 2 days with 60" mowers. I know we cover about 30 acres / day, but that's with 1 guy running a 15' tri-deck and another running a 72" mower, with no trimming.

If I were to bid it, it'd be about $1000 / cut.

9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

I'm thinking around $800 a cut ($40 x 20 man hours)

10. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a friend with 3 60'' dixie choppers he has a 50 acre account and mows trims and blows it in one day. this apartment complex is a easy one day job with 2 guys and a looong day at that