1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Apple Computer users how I reduce pic size

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Since I'm trying to please a likeable curmudgeon who insists on using dial up I've been trying to figure out how to reduce my pic file sizes without downloading special software and spending a bunch of money on high priced software. I use the IBOOK G4.

Select pics in IPHOTO

Go to SHARE and select EXPORT

You will get a window in which you change the resolution to 640 by 480

EXPORT to desktop with new file name

OPEN pics from new file. Should open in PREVIEW

Select SAVE AS in FILE

You will get a window in which you can change the quality. I reduced mine way down and the quality seems fine.

Save and replace the pic.

I'm an idiot so their may be a better way.

Mp Rotator.jpg
  2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

RP-I do 450 in the first box with jpeg...

It seems to keep the dial up losers @ bay..

good luck..

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

4. Irfanview I believe is Strictly for windows. I don't like downloading software and I knew my Apple could do it just needed to figure it out. Don't have photoshop or any of that stuff. Just good ole IPHOTO.
  5. CSR you may have to explain this one further for me.
    After you click EXPORT in that first box you reduce what to 450?
  6. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, if there are picture attached to this post, it works for me and Thank you - I've been hassling with posting pix for a VERY long time.

Robertson - 04.jpg

Robertson - 05.jpg

Robertson - 03.jpg
  7. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you. These 3 pix at of a stone and rockgarden istallation I did a couple of years ago. All the stone was natural and onsite in piles- from farmers clearing the field more than a hundred years ago. Fun to Zen out while looking at; and wait for the right (next) piece of stone to tell me where to use it. Sounds nutty, I know, but it's what works for me - and the client loved it.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

We went over this before. It's the "jpg compression" that keeps an image from killing dialups, and you select it in the "options" menu that is available when you save an image as a jpg.

It looks like IPHOTO has some of the characteristics of Microsoft image editing software, in that it assumes that you are too stupid to want jpg compression, and have to be led by the nose. No one will want that sort of thing when speed is of the essence. That's why Irfanview is popular for PC's. Simple. Fast. (and Free don't hurt either)

What about Image Well from xtralean? - if it works like the overview page describes, then you're home free. Buy the upgrade, if you have misgivings about using non-purchased software.
  9. Gorgeous pictures Kate. I'm going to add you to my buddies site. Now to work on pleasing boots again SIGH...... JPG compression huh? Okay I'll give it 30 minutes and then I'm doing laundry.
  10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I'll weigh in on image size.

Three things dictate the image size.

1) Resolution
    2) Bit depth
    3) Storage format

Any reduction of items 1 & 2 will lead to a smaller image. Storage format also plays a big role, not only in image size, but quality. JPEG (and all of it's variations) is the most popular storage format for the web and has great compression, however image quality quickly deteriorates after about 20-30% compression. Also keep in mind, if you change the compression ratio of an already compressed image, the quality will suffer even more.

PNG and TIFF also yield good compression while maintaining a quality image, however compression ratios are generally not as good as JPEG.

In order to get the most mileage out of your images, the originals should be uncompressed at the highest resolution and bit depth you can get out of your camera. This will give you the most post-production options.

Always keep the originals intact.

Digital cameras offer a variety of uncompressed formats, but be warned, they can take up a big chunks of space.