Apple drop/thinning

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by windmill, Feb 20, 2003.

1. windmill

windmill LawnSite Member

I have a question about thinning apples chemically. I've heard that it can be done chemically. Does anyone know about this? I believe that Sevin will cause fruit drop but it is not registered in Canada for that use. Anybody able to help me out here?

2. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

There are other products to prevent fruit, but as for thinning, Sevin is the only one I have heard of.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

3. windmill

windmill LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply Doug, the customer would really preffer no fruit at all so if you have a suggestion for that I would be all ears. I have checked around up here but nothing is registered for that use and boy would I have a niche for fruit prevention! Presently we have a provincial Coddling moth program going on and if we could prevent fruiting on the crab apples we would be providing a great service, and eliminating four treatments with Imidan.

4. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

We would thin apples on our fruit farm but I can't recall what the spray was. Ask an apple farmer. They'll know.

5. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

The fruit preventer is called Florel and is available from a number of Lawn and Garden wholesalers. It is made by a company in California Just do a search on Florel and you'll find the info on the product and the manufacturer.

We have used it very successfully. Much more effective than Sevin for fruit elimination.

Doug
    Austreim landscaping