1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Apple Trees

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Elite LawnCare, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Elite LawnCare

Elite LawnCare LawnSite Member

I have 3 apple trees just heavily pruned from years of over growth. I want them to do good this year. Their are spots on the tree im thinkin some kind of fungus? Not too sure about trees at all. Last year the fruit wasen't that great and had quite a bit of spots on that too. Some of the fruit that got picked off the ground had worms in it but im not sure if that happend on the tree or not. Not sure about the history of them because this property is new to me.
  2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Try Bill's NPP? He should chime in soon enough...

Mulch around the bottom of them as far as the limbs went... but not touching the trunks (can cause disease issues).
  3. Elite LawnCare

Elite LawnCare LawnSite Member

I like this advice, I read it somewheres else around here too it makes sence. Would you also spray fungal tea? I wouldent know how many apps. or what else you would do. Would you apply to a fruit tree different than for example a maple?
  4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

If you're brewing your own tea & it's on the fungal side, best advice is to spray every 2 weeks beginning at bud break. Remove fallen leaves that might be infected and compost them off site. Proper pruning will increase airflow to reduce fungus.

Eat the worms, good protein. :)
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

My question is, how old is the apple tree? They tend to die back and become more susceptible to fungus and disease as they get older.

Generally speaking, you can get about 15 years of good apples out of an apple tree.

You said you just got the property and they were overgrown. The trees might be past maturity, needs to be ripped out, and a new ones planted.
  6. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

heavily pruned= wrong

so now it comes down to cutting them down and replanting:laugh::laugh:
  7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Heavily pruned is a pretty broad term , please cite your source how that is wrong for a apple.
  8. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Use it for the smoker now
  9. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

When you say spots in the tree what does that mean. If the bark is damaged and it looks like something is chewing on the outside of the trunks and limbs it is probably flat headed appletree borer.

bt (which is in ict's product) may work if it has tthe right strain of bt - bill??

Since a borer is not a fungus but ore of a insect I doubt NPP would work.

If it is really bad cut it down and replant - if you want to try to save it you should try some teas - especially ict or even a non organic silicon penetrate called Onyx - in early may and follow up again 3 weeks later.

It also might be apple rust which NPP should work on - this looks like rust on the leaves.
  10. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member