apples, apples, apples

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yrdandgardenhandyman, Aug 8, 2005.

1. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

How do you guys handle apples? I have a client who has an apple tree and it was loaded. Now most of them are on the ground. Obviously the customer isn't eating them so they just lay there. Do you just mow over them? This customer usually doesn't want any extra work done and charges. Mow, trim, blow and go. Pays well and on time.

2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Pick em up and sell them on the side of the road...LOL I would turm em into apple sauce.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a customer that has a 164 tree apple orchard. We just mow over them when they start falling. There is not a whole helluva lot we can do otherwise.

4. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I feel sorry for your blades, but what can you do?

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Better apples than rocks IMO.

6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Watch out for the hornets and yellowjackets that are drawn in by the apples :realmad:

7. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

We have the same problem with orange trees, grapfruit trees and mangos.
    Used to pick them up now we mow over them.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yikes, oranges, grapefruit, mangos... those are large!!

Our apples and pears here are pretty small. Applesauce! It's neat to see how some of them get sliced and diced. I see some once in a while that roll under the blade and are nearly perfectly peeled! I can't see that an apple, expecially the half rotten ones on the ground could hurt a blade. Stink they do though.

I too have noticed the wasps and yellowjackets around them. Generally as long as those critters aren't guarding their nest they seem to leave humans alone. Only Times I have been stung it was because I accidently bumped into their damn nest!!!

9. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Wash your equipment (deck, blades & tires) at the end of the day. If it sits overnight (in your trailer or shop)with the fruit juices coating the deck and blades, you'll find everything smells like a really cheap wine. Gets to you after the day warms up.

Jim

10. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

I mow right on over them. I haven't noticed that they are all that bad on blades. What I really hate about fruit on the ground is blasting into one with the trimmer. Now that does not feel too good running down your face.