apples on lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bluerider, Aug 24, 2005.

1. bluerider

bluerider LawnSite Member

This year there seems to be a huge amount of apples on all the apple trees in my area. The trees are so overloaded that the apples have been dropping for about a month now. So in a lot of places there is starting to be alot of apples on the lawns underneath the trees. I was wondering what most people do about them. Do you pick them up or just mow over them? If I mow over them alot of them get cut up in bits or get flatten out and that makes a mess. If you pick them up do you charge the customer a clean up fee for it?
  2. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

We service a large property with an orchard and are paid to pick them up prior to mowing. Makes too much of a mess to leave them on the ground.
  3. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I mow over them I'm not getting paid to pick them up , if the customer can't be bothered to pick them up niether can I. If a customer complained about it I would say OK if you pay me $ X per hour.
  4. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I would mow em into apple sauce.
  5. bluerider

bluerider LawnSite Member

thats what I thought too. Why should I pick them up if I ain't getting paid for it. But I hate seeing the mess it makes to mow over them. So maybe I need to ask the customer if they want them picked up and tell them that it will cost extra to pick them up.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That is exactly what you should do bluerider.........
    .Just mowing over ,making a big mess
    and then seeing if the customer complains..then telling them it will be x amount to pick them up is NOT the way to do good business.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Bees love apples. If you don't pick them up, You could be off the mower anyways :D

Just toss them onto a pile by the tree trunk. finished business. it takes i minuet.

8. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i eat em if there's healthy & not rotten ;)
  9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I mow over apples and pears and dog crap, how ever if I step in the dog crap, its a $20 charge extra.
  10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

like said before, Apple sauce. No way am I picking up any apples for free. When doing a bid I ask specifically if there are any Apple, Pear, Plum, Orange, or other large fruit trees. If they say yes I address the situation there. Most of the time they say they will pick them up. I have one guy that I bill my leaf rate on his fruit trees.
    Personally I hate picking up the crap.