1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Applesauce or Apple pie?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Jul 23, 2012.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhh that time of year again where my customers who absolutely had to have fruit trees now find they are indeed a burden to them. Now is when the apples start falling from the trees. My question to you is do you turn the apples into applesauce by just mowing them over or do you stop and pick them up? I have a number of trees where the apples are all over the ground, one customer will pick them up prior to me arriving which is fine with me. The other leaves them to rot on the ground. Those become applesauce.
  2. greenstar lawn

greenstar lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Usually ppl will will pick them up but if not i just run them over. Luckily only a few accounts have apple trees
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

In an effort to avoid a potential pest problem, we always pick up fallen fruit before mowing.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

A crabapple almost caused me to lose control of my truck the other day...

Haha not really but I was driving down a road the other day and a crabapple rolled down someones driveway and out into the road. I ran over it, making crabapple sauce.

I've only done one lawn with an apple tree, and it was a 1 time high price overgrown cut and there were crabapples all over the ground. It was obvious they didn't care about their lawn so I just ran over them and sent diced apples all over the yard.
  5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

It depends on how hungry the guys and I are. Our problem is pears, we have one property where the pears are the size of a softball, try mowing over one of those things :laugh:
  6. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I pick them up apples and pears and use for deer bait
  7. hammmerhead

hammmerhead LawnSite Senior Member
    from ozarks

Isn't this is a question for the customer?
  8. nolatoolguy

nolatoolguy LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

When I bid the contract I take that into consideration as they will be picked up. I let them know that unless they say so I will pick them up during the time they fall.

The same goes for dog poop, if its on the ground I will pick it up but the bid is always higher when I ask if thats gonna be a issue.

Some say my contract is to detailed, I say its very stright foward so all my bases are covered.
  9. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing here only it is orange and grapefruit! When you run over them they do smell good plus the citrus juice cleans the deck!
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Now I would like that. I do get a nice apple smell but then I have bees following me the rest of the day. I am sure I would get bees with orange and grapefruit but the deck cleaning benefit is something I didn't think of.